memory and rescource consumption

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by domino, Aug 17, 2005.

1. domino

domino New Member

This would be a great how-to. Teach us how to lower memory and cpu usage yet, keep a balance with security and peice of mind.

Which brings to this question. What services can I disable and enable so that my "VPS" doesn't use so much memory? I commited my VPC to use 256mb of memory yet it persists in using 300mb. I set the swapfile the same as the tut for fedora 3 but I don't think it uses it :(. Does it really need 300mb? Can I lower it to 200mb? Does Gnome use memory even you aren't logged into the the gui?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff Moderator HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

You can run

Code:
    ps aux
    and

Code:
    to see what's eating up your memory. And if you don't need the service, stop it.
    And yes, Gnome's using memory. Why are you running a desktop on a server? :confused:

3. domino

domino New Member

Yes, I know you are disappointed. I installed it just in case I need to do something I couldn't do in shell. I created a screen and I was wondering if you could help. I didn't install anything other than ez-ipupdate deamon RPM package which doesnt have a gui :rolleyes:. Other than that, it's the stock install as you have instructed in that great How-To. Plus Gnome :p.

Attached Files:

• top.png
      top.png
      File size:
      16.6 KB
      Views:
  4. domino

domino New Member

BTW, I did a YUM update and installed the new kernel plus all the updates. Things seam to be much faster and better response. I just hope it doesnt break ISPConfig during the process.

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff Moderator HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

What's the rhn-applet-gui? Eats up 8% of your memory...
    And what's hald?

6. domino

domino New Member

Damn Gnome munches down on memory. I don't know if I can trade the memory usage and how easy it is to configure if I was in gui. I gues I will have to ponder on that.

From what I gathered from memory, it's a HAL Deamon? I remember HAL being a sci-fi character and something to do with a processor. :confused:

Edit: here it is, hardware abstraction layer daemon for gnome's new hal. But I still don't know what it is..

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005