Meaningful Names: client, uid, gid

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by fatbear, Apr 16, 2012.

1. fatbear

fatbear HowtoForge Supporter

Is it possible to configure ISPConfig so that the names for client, uid, and gid can be specified? That is, instead of client3, web2, etc., I could specify these names.

I'm considering transitioning from another control panel to ISPconfig, and it would make it a lot easier if I could not have to lookup the uid and gid, etc. everytime I need to do a chown, etc. This will also help in making database names more memorable. For example:

chown -R fatbear:fatbear .

is a lot easier to remember than:

chown -R web27:client15 .

And, the above is a lot more error prone.

Please let me know if this can be possible!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. till

till Super Moderator

Thats not possible.

3. fatbear

fatbear HowtoForge Supporter

If it is not possible to replace the hard-to-remember UIDs and GIDs, and to have path components use the client name and domain and subdomain names directly, then perhaps it is possible to create aliases and symbolic (or hard) links at the appropriate places. For example, I could have links:

/var/www/clients/lee -> /var/www/clients/client3
    /var/www/clients/lee/mydomain.com -> /var/www/clients/client3/web8

This would solve the big problem of not being able to just do a pwd and immediately know what customer and what domain the path represents. I do see that there is something close to the second form above already. That's great, but I do note that all links are at the top level of the client folder. It would be better if the links were arranged hierarchically as:

/var/www/clients/client#/domain.com/subdomain -> /var/www/clients/client#/web#

And, there are no client links at the present.

So, is the code flexible enough to allow for custom actions to be done? For example, when:

1. Creating a new client (it will create the first symbolic link above)
    2. Creating a new domain (it will create the second symbolic link above)

One custom action could be to add duplicate (alias) entries to the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files so that a more memorable name would show up with commands like "ls -l". None of these customizations would break the existing behavior, but would give me everything I want in terms of using easy-to-remember names for UIDs, GIDs, Client directory names, and Website directory names.

Does the code use a hooks/callback or publisher/subscriber model so that customizations such as the above are easy to do? Otherwise, would you please tell me where in the code these actions are and I'll make some custom modifications. I think this will be something that most administrators would want to have.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  4. till

till Super Moderator

Ispconfig is very flexible event based framework. So you can easily extend it by crating custom plugins that suscribe to the events. See /usr/local/ispconfig/serrver/plugins-available directory for examples