Manually Manipulating BIND DNS

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by gavinlowle, Jun 9, 2011.

1. gavinlowle

gavinlowle New Member

Hi,

I have installed ISPConfig3 on Ubuntu 11.04 following the HowtoForge guide. Primarily I wanted to use the GUI elements of ISPConfig to manipulate BIND DNS records for internal use only.

I used ISPConfig to create one forward and one reverse zone, which work perfectly. I can then navigate my way to the /etc/bind/pri.mydomain.com and create manual entries with vi, which it will answer for. Great.

I also have some pretty vastly populated zones, forward and reverse, that I'd like to import from my old BIND server into the ISPConfig variant of BIND.

What I have found is that anything manually created in the files is not reflected in the GUI of ISPConfig. Is ISPConfig not just reading the .conf files?

I need these reflected in the GUI to hand to other admins to manage, they are not CLI type people.

Thanks in advance.

Gavin.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You will have to add all zones and records in ISPConfig. Do not edit any zonefiles manually as all manual changes that you do manually will get removed as they are missing in the ISPconfig database.