Mailman - trying to make it work

Discussion in 'General' started by smokinjo, Jan 6, 2018.

1. smokinjo

smokinjo Member

Hello,

I have been using ISPConfig for awhile. It allowed me to manage my server with out lots of Linux skills(though I have had other help when really needed)
    I have tried to make mailman work by creating mailing lists via ISPConfig, but it has never worked.
    I have looked around, and I see a lot of mailman files scattered throughout the server. So, it seems to be installed.
    Before trying to look at what is wrong, can someone explain the logic used with ISPConfig for crating and using a mailing list?
    1 - is there a mailman page for each and every domain for which I have a mailing list?
    2 - how am I able to see the log in and info page for each domain mailman list?

I will be upfront and honest, I started a couple of months ago really learning Linux on a level more than just a user. I have a long way to go. I also see play with Mailman a first crack and using my newly found skill sand also gaining some practical hand on experience.
    So, bear with me and my seemingly non Linux guru like questions:)

Thanks for the answers. I will have lots more questions by the time this quest is finished:)

Thanks

Joseph

2. smokinjo

smokinjo Member

I wanted to follow up on this question by asking again:
    1 - is there a mailman page for each and every domain for which I have a mailing list?
    2 - how am I able to see the log in and info page for each domain mailman list?
    3 - where is mailman stored on the server when it is installed? I want to confirm its presence
    4 -Is mailman installed automatically with the perfect install of ISPConfig?

I am trying to get the basic working of mailman in ISPConfig.
    Then,. I will troubleshoot.
    Thanks

Joseph

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig uses the normal mailman installation of the operating system, so nothing is ISPConfig specific there and the mailman URL's are also default, yourserverhostname/mailman/.....

Yes

4. smokinjo

smokinjo Member

Thansk Till.
    I created a new list for experimentation reasons.
    I then received an email letting me know that the list was created. Great!
    I see a link for the admin page, and the user page.
    I click on them both see see the pages, and I get teh same error for eachpage:

ERROR 404 - Not Found!
    The following error occurred:
    The requested URL was not found on this server.

Please check the URL or contact the webmaster.

So, the list is created, but not the pages.

Ideas?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Use this link and relace the domain (which is probably used by a website) with the server hostname in the url.

6. smokinjo

smokinjo Member

Hello,
    The server itself has no domain name. The only thing I could maybe do is use the IP address, but this does not produce anything, as the default website is a different domain.
    (I am not sure how the default domain happened, but anytime I use the IP to view the server, it always displays the first domain I created on the server.)

If I create a mailing list with the default website, and change the domain to the server IP, it does not work either.
    Joseph

7. smokinjo

smokinjo Member

Hello Till,
    I was wondering if you had any observations about my error and also me to having a server URL and needing to use the IP. This still does not work.

Thanks for any help.

Joseph