Mail statistics seem wrong

Discussion in 'General' started by hairydog2, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. hairydog2

    hairydog2 New Member

    Running a Debian Sarge "perfect" setup with ISPConfig, all seems to be going pretty smoothly, but the statistics seem very odd.

    There are about 70 domains being served, most of which use mail forwarding, some have mailboxes on the server, and a few use external mail servers.

    The ones with external mail servers show hundrds of megabytes of mail traffic, despite having the MX records pointing to a different address - there should be almost none recorded.

    The ones with mailboxes on the server seem to give about the right figures (guessing at the likely traffic).

    The ones with mail forwarding mostly show little or no mail traffic at all.

    This is running Courier for the mail.

    I'm baffled by this! Can anyone suggest what may be wrong, or how to fix it?
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  2. falko

    falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

    The statistics also include the sent traffic, not only the recieved traffic. Maybe that's a reason...

    Is there something in the mail log that could shed some light on it?
  3. hairydog2

    hairydog2 New Member

    There is no outbound mail sent throught he server from the domains that have external mail servers, but I wonder if there is something odd that explains what is happening.

    Here's a sample from the mail.log - I've replaced the client's details with clientname - the main account that is clocking all the mail (but not sending or receiving any) is The server was set up as Is this being counted as mail in the stats?

    Jan 18 01:39:52 hosting postfix/local[31568]: B10D33C04F: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<[email protected]>, relay=local, delay=69, status=sent (forwarded as 96A903C138)
  4. falko

    falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

    No, it isn't, unless is a Co-Domain of the web site.
    You can have a look at the code in /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/mail_logs.php to track down this problem.
  5. hairydog2

    hairydog2 New Member

    Ah. It is. Originally, the plan was to have as one address amd as a completely different one.

    Then I wanted them both on different IPs so I could get away from port 81 which gives me and some clients real problems (It's blocked by some firewalls).

    I moved the hosting to a different IP and called it but it was a waste of time: I never did manage to get both web servers to run on separate IPs on the same port. You offered some helpful suggestions, but not enough for me to sort it out.

    So I ended up with a setup where some bits think the server is and others think it is

    I think I'll try removing the co-domain altogether, but I can't do that till I'm in a position to fix it quickly if it goes wrong.

Share This Page