mail quotas problem.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ozgurerdogan, Mar 3, 2014.

1. ozgurerdogan

ozgurerdogan New Member

No way I try, mail quotas are not setable. I have set it to -1 to let client create his own emailbox. Other wise I am getting;

The max space for mailboxes is reached. The max. available space in MB is: -28672
    Mailbox size must be a number.
    Invalid quota value. Allowed values are: 0 for unlimited or numbers > 1

This can not be a bug?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, there is no bug.

1) If you want to enter a unlimited mail quota, then enter 0, as described in the manual.
    2) You can only set a unlimited mail quota as client, when you (the admin) allowed unlimited mail quota in the client settings. If the client belngs to a reseller, then the reseller quota has to be unlimited as well.
    3) If you have set a limit for for the mail quota in the clinet or reseller limits, then the client can not set a higher quota then what you allowed to him in the limits (everything else wont make sense, as its the purpose of a quota to be a limit).

3. ozgurerdogan

ozgurerdogan New Member

I really can not figure out. Please note that I already created some mailboxes as admin and today I needed to give control panel to user. And user must have 2048MB of mailbox limit.

-In system, server Config; Mailbox Size Limit is : 2048,
    -In client templates that is assigned to the client, limit of Mailbox quota is also 2048 (all other email limits are -1)

But when I try logining in as client I can not create mailbox with mailbox limit 0, -1, or 2048. How do I correct this then?

Btw, on manual page; http://docs.ispconfig.org/my-first-email/
    0 does not seem to be unlimited instead -1 is.

The quota field dictates the size of this mailbox. If it is set to 0 it will not allow incoming mail. Enter in here the size of this mailbox limit in megabytes. The value of -1 allows an infinite mailbox size, beware though that if this mailbox is for someone else it could fill your server!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  4. till

This is unrelated.

This limit matters for the client, and the reselelr limit matters, if the client belongs to a reseller.

Off course you can not add a unlimited mailbox when you have set a limit in the client limits of 2048. This limit means that the sum of all mailboxes of the client may not exceed the limit of 2048 megabytes. So if the client has one mailbox, then you can assign 2048 to this mailbox. If the client ahs 2 mailboxes, then you can e.g. assign 1024 MB to each of them. If you created any mailboxes with unlimitd space for the client as admin already, then the quota of thsi client is already exxeeded as unlimied + 2048 > 2048

5. ozgurerdogan

ozgurerdogan New Member

Ah ok. So limit in client template is shared among all mailboxes for that client? Well I can not explain this to my clients. They usually ask simple question and want to hear simple answers :)

Ok I find a small trick. I know it is not a correct way but fine for my situation:

I edited file mail_user_mailbox_edit.htm and disabled mail quato text field and also set it a default value of 2048. And set a unlimited limit in client template.

So newly created mailboxes has limit of 2048 now. I also did policy select to normal in mail_user_mailfilter_edit.htm.

Can you tell me if future update may override these htm files?

6. till

Off course, like any quota on a server. Or do you think that a file quota is the limit of the size of one file? A file quota is the limit for the sum of all files of a user.

They are core files and dont belong to the theme, so they get oeverwritten.

7. ozgurerdogan

ozgurerdogan New Member

But when I see mail quato, I think that is limit for ONE mailbox. Things are little different in windows control panels. I am mostly used to them. But in directadmin it is as ISPConfig you are right. And I forget it.

Thank you for your helps. I will offer ISPConfig to my vps clients.

8. till

The mail quota setting in the mailbox is for one mailbox. But mail quota in the client settings is the quota for all mailboxes of this client. If you would have just one mail quota setting for the whole client, how should he be able then to split up his mail space (e.g. 10GB) into mailboxes of different sizes? He might want to have a mailbox with 5 GB and a few mailboxes with just 250MB.