Mail problems and domain configuration

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by abailarri, Feb 28, 2014.

1. abailarri

abailarri New Member

Hello!

I have one vps with Debian wheezy, apache, postfix, dovecot, etc... and ISPConfig 3.
    To point the domain to my vps, I need to configure my domain (with namecheap panel) to point the @ and www record to my vps ip, because I not have valid nameservers and I created a gluehost. After, I created the site in my vps an all works fine.

But when I tried to create a mail box (with the mentioned domain) I tried to send an email (or recive) it not work and the mail.err log says:

Feb 28 03:15:02 server postfix/sendmail[18549]: fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf: parameter myhostname: bad parameter value: MY IP
    Feb 28 03:16:44 server sm-mta[18596]: s1S8GhYl018596: SYSERR(root): collect: Cannot write ./dfs1S8GhYl018596 (bfcommit, uid=0, gid=110): No such file or directory
    Feb 28 03:20:01 server postfix/sendmail[18724]: fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf: parameter myhostname: bad parameter value: 64.90.187.208
    Feb 28 03:25:01 server postfix/sendmail[18838]: fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf: parameter myhostname: bad parameter value: 64.90.187.208
    Feb 28 03:26:35 server sm-mta[18874]: s1S8QZfB018874: SYSERR(root): collect: Cannot write ./dfs1S8QZfB018874 (bfcommit, uid=0, gid=110): No such file or directory

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Change the line "myhostname" in postfix main.cf, this line must contain the hostname and not the Ip address of your server.

3. abailarri

abailarri New Member

I no have

I not have hostname, only IP

4. till

Any server and especially a mail server must have a hostname, you can not use it with an IP only.

5. abailarri

abailarri New Member

and where I can get one? Because my vps have only the IP

6. till

You can create one yourself. add a dns a-record for server.yourdomain.tld at namecheap and then set server.yourdomain.tld as hostname in your server.

7. Quaxth

Quaxth New Member

In Namecheap.com log on and you've to go to: My Account → Manage Domains → Modify Domain (use the Domain for your ISPConfig server) and click on All Host Records. in Sub-Domain Settingscreate the A-Record (A-Address) for your server like server.yourdomain.com and set TTL to 1800

Down the page check (click) User Simplified (One Mail Server IP Address Required) and click Save, than the new windows come up and you key in the IP Address of your domain and the other settings(see picture)

[​IMG]

Click Save again.

Hope that helps.