Mail in wrong mailbox

Discussion in 'General' started by LinuxNoob, Sep 18, 2010.

  1. LinuxNoob

    LinuxNoob New Member

    Hi Guys,

    I followed the following guide ( ) about 9 - 10 months ago. Prior to this, I was running Mandriva - and again was via a server setup guide via HowtoForge ( good work guys )

    Current OpenSuse server has been running with no problems for the last 9 months or so - but yesterday I noticed that mail being sent to any of the 3 local domains are being delivered to just 1 catch-all account ( other domains also have catch all's and no forwards in place ) they are received in the catch-all on web1 even though the mail is addressed to domains within web2 web3 etc.

    I've searched the forums and found a lot of posts relating to the same sort of issue, and that this was being referenced to an issue in with /etc/postfix/
    referencing $mydomain

    Would someone be able to help me out with this weird issue as I cant seem to find the problem - and this server, and mail has been running fine for 9 months. I havent changed / amended anything, and cant see any recent updates from my Disto that has amended anything relating to postfix.


    Edit - adding - i have changed the domain to

    inet_protocols = all
    biff = no
    mail_spool_directory = /var/mail
    canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
    virtual_alias_domains = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
    relocated_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relocated
    transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport
    sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
    masquerade_exceptions = root
    masquerade_classes = envelope_sender, header_sender, header_recipient
    myhostname =
    delay_warning_time = 1h
    message_strip_characters = \0
    program_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
    inet_interfaces = all
    masquerade_domains =
    #mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain
    defer_transports =
    mynetworks_style = subnet
    disable_dns_lookups = no
    relayhost =
    content_filter =
    mailbox_command =
    mailbox_transport =
    strict_8bitmime = no
    disable_mime_output_conversion = no
    smtpd_sender_restrictions = hash:/etc/postfix/access
    smtpd_client_restrictions =
    smtpd_helo_required = no
    smtpd_helo_restrictions =
    strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
    smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,check_relay_domains
    smtp_sasl_auth_enable = no
    smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
    smtpd_use_tls = yes
    smtp_use_tls = yes
    alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
    mailbox_size_limit = 0
    message_size_limit = 0
    mydomain =
    mynetworks =
    relayhost =
    smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
    smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
    broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
    smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes
    smtpd_tls_auth_only = no
    smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
    smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.key
    smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/ssl/smtpd.crt
    smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/ssl/cacert.pem
    smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
    smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
    smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
    tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom
    virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtusertable
    mydestination = /etc/postfix/local-host-names
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  2. till

    till Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

    The mydomain setting may not be identical to a email domain, so change
    to e.g. in and restart postfix.
  3. LinuxNoob

    LinuxNoob New Member

    Thanks for the response Till

    Just tried that - and still get the mail being sent to the other domain(s) being delivered to the catchall on my domain.
  4. till

    till Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

    Thats a clear indication that the problem is caused by a wrong hostname as I explained above. Check your setup again and change the hostname to a domain or subdomain that is not used for email.
  5. LinuxNoob

    LinuxNoob New Member

    There are 3 domains setup with ISPConfig.

    All 3 domains are used for mail.

    If I set the hostname to anything other than - then no mail is received, to any of the 3 domains. If I set the hostname to literally ( which I used, and this is not referenced anywhere on the server ) then no mail is delivered.
  6. till

    till Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

    Change it as I told you above if you want to fix the issue! Then take a look at the mail log if you have problems with receiving the email and post the new errors that you get now.
  7. LinuxNoob

    LinuxNoob New Member

    If I change the mydomin - to a domain not in use at all or referenced on the server, no email is received, and nothing shows in the mail log.

    Sep 19 18:08:23 fury postfix/smtpd[13034]: disconnect from unknown[]
    Sep 19 18:08:23 fury postfix/local[13059]: CB24242E7: to=<web1_user@hostname>, orig_to=<>, relay=local, delay=2.6, delays=0.03/0/0/2.5, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/bin/proc$
    Sep 19 18:08:23 fury postfix/qmgr[13027]: CB24242E7: removed
    I have removed the actual domains in use above. As you can see, mail being sent to the web2 domain, is received in the web1 catch all.

    I can see what your saying Till - but any combination of the above doenst work. My main issue is - the server config hasnt been changed, and has been working fine for 8 - 9 months !
  8. till

    till Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

    There must be domething in the mail log if you send a email to your server. Change the domain as I suggested above, then login to webmail with a account that is on your server and send yourself a email, then post the lines that you get in the mail log file. Do not use the catchall account for this test.

Share This Page