Mail ends up marked as spam

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ZeroEnna, Aug 1, 2010.

  1. ZeroEnna

    ZeroEnna Member

    Hey guys,

    I am using the "Perfect Server Debian Lenny" for quite a while now. So I find many mails ending up as spam-.tagged in GMX Mailboxes. So my questions is

    1. What is causing this?
    2. What can I do?

    I use the same setup that is done in the Tutorial, without any modifcations.

    Hope you can help me.

    Kind regards

  2. kwickcut

    kwickcut Member HowtoForge Supporter

    do you have a static ip or dynamic ip... i have read that most emails that come from dynamic ip will seen as spam
  3. ZeroEnna

    ZeroEnna Member


    no it is a static IP, my server is hosted at, and I never experienced any problems regarding DNS. But yeah, I heard about that issue, too.

    Kind Regards

  4. falko

    falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

  5. ZeroEnna

    ZeroEnna Member


    thank you for your reply. The result was negative, the server is not blacklisted.



    EDIT: I learned an intereting thing when looking up MX Record: MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = nameserver = nameserver = internet address = internet address = internet address =

    interesting part is : internet address =

    hostname is, domain is Why are these to informations attached?
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  6. koressak

    koressak New Member

    When did it start happening?

    I also experienced mail going out from my mailserver to be marked as a spam. It was a result after letting few users from inside our network to use the mailserver.

    Actually I didn't find a solution, for the "spam score" for my server is beyond my control. And I would like also to ask, what can be done about it? (besides calling isp and trying to persuade him, that I'm not a spammer.)
  7. ZeroEnna

    ZeroEnna Member

    Well, THIS was the best example for a layer 8 problem!

    As I suggested in the previous post, the hostname in the DNS Query looked strange.

    Here's the problem/solution.

    The result for nslookup -querytype=mx was:


    hostname (which is correct) just attached my domain at the end (which is wrong, as the dns query doesn't give out the same as the reverse dns query)

    Okay, now I fixed it, and no mail is bounced or anything else. Just a problem with corrupt headers, but this is also a layer 8 problem, as only mails sent by a do-it-yourself-contact-form have corrupt header.

    Thanks for your help.

    Kind Regards


Share This Page