1. Hi Friends,

I've been fiddling with Linux for almost 2 years, but I've never set up an Ubuntu File Server. I want to have a RAID made of 2 harddrives and the system running on a SSD. I thought to myself, that keeping the system on a disk (bootdisk) and the RAID for itself, should make things a little easier to set up.
    I've been reading and I learned that it's posible to make e.g. a RAID 1 using to harddrives only. Then to setup e.g. 10% of each disk for the file system and then the rest of both drives for the rest. But, I'm asking all of you if it isn't a god idea to keep the RAID area on two disk for the "file's/data" and then the 12.04 OS on this disk for itself!?
    I'm not sure which RAID I will be running, but I think I want a "mirror" so that if one disk fails, the files will be accesible while getting a new disk (from my drawer:) and then I just have to plug in a new disk and everything goes on like before...peeewie ;)

Please help me get started :eek:

2. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

You can use RAID 1 with 2 hardisks. Please refer the tutorial.

3. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

Why not run completely raid1? because you only get half of the diskspace from both disks?

4. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

raid doesn't provide security... just redundancy...

I run 3x 4TB disks in Raid1.... so I only have 4 TB available but 2 drives can fail and it still works :)

5. Hi Sjau,

OK then... I know what it is short of ;) For me it's security, having 2 disks running the same data (RAID1) and then if a disk fails, data is still accessible!! Then you just "feed it" with a new disk and everything is like before ;) That's security for me. :)

What I wanted to know was the best way to do it. It's a 2U Rackmounted Case, and I only have room for 2 frontloaded harddisk boxes. So I wanted to find out, which is the best way to make such a RAID. Is it to install the system files on a separate diskdrive (there's room for internal diskdrive's) or install the system/OS on the disk's in RAID1...

It's proberly best to install it the on the disk's running RAID. Why not. The only reason I wasn't sure, is because I like the idea of the disks only being used for the files/data which is important for me and then keep the system elsewhere. I will need to split up up areas of the disks to install the system/OS. That's the reason I asked.

Do any of you know if it's possible to do it the way I suggested? To have the OS on a disk and then make a RAID1 on two other disks? The RAID I'm talking about here is not hardware RAID. It's Ubuntu software RAID

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014