Large Installation

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by wisp, Feb 18, 2014.

1. wisp

wisp New Member

I have a question. I have been testing out ISPConfig and have it up and running on a few debian servers, but it doesn't seem suitable for a larger installation or maybe it is me and I am missing something. What I could like to do is have:
    Server 1 - Control panel, Primary DNS, Web Hosting, Mail, Database
    Server 2 - Control panel, Secondary DNS, Web Hosting, Mail, Database
    Server 3 - 10 - Control panel, Web Hosting, Mail, Database

I have noticed so far if you run more than 1 web server, if you create the website on your main control panel on Server1 to be installed on Server2, it will not create the directory on server2 and will not show up on Server2 control panel, Also any changes made to Server2 control panel for Server2 will not show up in your main control panel.

We are basically looking to have multiple web servers with different websites on each servers with a control panel on each so that you don't have to worry about the master being down for maintenance but sharing the same database of server configuration and clients, and sharing the same mail servers and dns server which is typical in an ISP installation. The separate server installation or the cluster installation doesn't seem to accomplish this task. Am I missing something?
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig is used by many ISP's in larger installations, a few hundred servers are working fine from a single controlpanel login and even a few thousand should work as there is no limitation in the number of nodes.

Your installation can not work as you did not install a multiserver system as descrbed in the multiserver setup guides. What you installed are basially 3 single servers. A multiserver system has one master server or a replicated master and many slaves that fetch the data from the master. Slaves dont run their own controlpanel, like usual on large ISP's, you have a single sign on and single controlpanel for all customers and not a controlpanel on each node. The slaves in a ispconfig multiserver setup are not affected by a maintenance of the master anyway as every slave has a copy of all settings that it requires for the services that it provides, so you can shutdown the master at any time, it will not affect a slave. The system is also very fault tolreant, you can shutdown any slave for maintenance for up to 30 days and it will pick up all cahanges automativally when its online again.
  3. wisp

wisp New Member

Thanks for your reply then obviously I must be doing something wrong. If I follow the instructions on a clustered solution on 2 servers, yes the database is replicated and clustered, but the control panel is only accessible from the main server to get access and modify all the information which defeats the purpose. And if I try the multiple server setup, the main server with the control panel, does not create the websites directory I designates on server 2. So something is missing to move past one server to a system with multiple web hosting servers.
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Ok, then you havent installed your cluster corectly indeed, as the controkpanel is accessible on both servers and can be used on both servers in the cluster guide.

Either your mysq replication is not working or you missed the last scp command on this page:

Then your servers are not connected. A common issue is to not edit the /etc/hosts files on all servers exacty as described in the multiserver guide, as this will cause mysql connections to fail later. Or you installed a firewall which blocks mysql connections from slave to master server See here for a test script and debug instructions: