Killing That Spam With Postgrey And Postfix new version v1.27 for FC6

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by micko_escalade, Jul 26, 2007.

1. micko_escalade

micko_escalade New Member

PostGrey v1.27 for FC6 ?

I was using successfully postgrey for a while on FC4 and it really cuts on spam,
    now I upgraded to FC6 and this tutorial doesn't work for me because I can't find /etc/default/postgrey is that because I installed using rpm from here ? and not used apt-get install postgrey ?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  2. micko_escalade

I just re-installed postgrey using apt-get install postgrey command, and /etc/default/postgrey is still not visible.
  3. micko_escalade

Anyone, please ?
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I think that tutorial is based on Debian, so it won't work on Fedora. Probably the Postgrey configuration is somewhere else on Fedora. You can try and run
    locate postgrey
    to find the file(s).
  5. micko_escalade

Thanks for helping me with this!
    with that tutorial beeing for debian /etc/default/postgrey does not exists on fedora,

[[email protected] ~]# locate postgrey
    [[email protected] ~]# 
    but I was able to find this tutorial,
    so I found OPTIONS="--unix=$SOCKET" in /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgrey so I changed it to OPTIONS="--unix=$SOCKET --inet= --delay=59"
    then I added check_policy_service inet: to
    /etc/postfix/ at smtpd_recipient_restrictions = line
    so that it looks like this
    smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination,check_policy_service inet:
    I made a test a excluded from /etc/postfix/postgrey_whitelist_clients file then I tried sending mail and it got rejected?

Jul 27 23:36:51 linux postfix/smtpd[2487]: connect from[]
    Jul 27 23:36:51 linux postfix/smtpd[2487]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from[]: 450 4.7.1 <[email protected]>: Recipient address rejected: Greylisted, see; from=<[email protected]> to=<[email protected]> proto=SMTP helo=<>
    Jul 27 23:36:51 linux postfix/smtpd[2487]: disconnect from[]
  6. micko_escalade

I found sqlgrey which is same as postgrey but it can use mySQL DB, looks good,
    installed it using step # 7. Setup Grey Listing
    Will post review after couple of weeks.