It's GREAT...but

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Bodo, Oct 14, 2006.

  1. Bodo

    Bodo New Member

    Hi All,
    I've installed Ispconfig on Ubuntu Dapper using the guide provided and I love the setup. I'm hosting the first 2 domains and everything is working flawlessly. Except for mail for one of the domains.

    Since I'm hosting the DNS entries externally at another ISP (to have MX backup if my server goes down) I've assumed that I do not need to use any DNS features within Ispconfig nor create DNS any entries on this machine. Right?

    Everything works perfectly for the first domain (weavebrain.com.au) - web & email arrives and can be sent.

    However problems with my second domain (kalyanamitta.net) - mail sent to a user does not arrive. I can send mail from the kalyanamitta.net account but replies sent to it do not arrive. WHY????:confused:

    My DNS entries are:

    Code:
    A Record
    kalyanamitta.net  203.59.131.11
    
    MX Record
    kalyanamitta.net 10
    mx2hostaway.net.au 20
    The other site details (where the mail works) looks like this

    Code:
    A Record
    weavebrain.com.au  203.59.131.11
    
    MX Record
    weavebrain.com.au 10
    mx2hostaway.net.au 20
    So in fact the format of two DNS records is identical, but why is weavebrain.com.au mail arriving and kalyanamitta.net's mail does not????

    Please help,

    TIA,
    Bodo
     
  2. till

    till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

    Thats correct.

    The DNS entries seem to be correct and I get the correct answers from your DNS server.

    Does the website www.kalyanamitta.net has a co-domain kalyanamitta.net (with empty host field)? If not, create this co-domain.

    Do you get any messages in the mail log about the domain kalyanamitta.net when you send emails to kalyanamitta.net?
     
  3. sjau

    sjau Local Meanie Moderator

    DNSReport.com also gave me the correct IP addresses :)
    Maybe some dns server of yours ahve not updated the info yet.
     
  4. Bodo

    Bodo New Member

    Thanks for your kind responses gents. An update, it's actually only the account 'info' of kalyanamitta.net that fails. I thought I might try some of the other user accounts and they do work. So it is not a DNS issue after all.

    Yes I do, and when a mail message for the info account arrives this happens:

    Code:
    Oct 15 07:37:13 mulloway postfix/smtpd[31308]: connect from ug-out-1314.google.com[66.249.92.175]
    Oct 15 07:37:14 mulloway postfix/smtpd[31308]: 717DC654D27: client=ug-out-1314.google.com[66.249.92.175]
    Oct 15 07:37:15 mulloway postfix/cleanup[31313]: 717DC654D27: message-id=<[email protected]>
    Oct 15 07:37:15 mulloway postfix/qmgr[31018]: 717DC654D27: from=<[email protected]>, size=1575, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    Oct 15 07:37:15 mulloway procmail[31317]: Suspicious rcfile "/var/www/web10/.procmailrc"
    Oct 15 07:37:16 mulloway postfix/local[31316]: 717DC654D27: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<[email protected]>, relay=local, delay=2, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/bin/procmail -f-)
    Oct 15 07:37:16 mulloway postfix/qmgr[31018]: 717DC654D27: removed
    Oct 15 07:37:45 mulloway postfix/smtpd[31308]: disconnect from ug-out-1314.google.com[66.249.92.175]
    I'm not sure what it means. Had a look at the rc file and it looks normal...

    Any ideas?

    Bodo
     
  5. Bodo

    Bodo New Member

    I've been playing around with this for hours and the latest update on this problem is that this mail malfunction/deletion occurs on users when the Administrator box is ticked (in User & Email tab)

    However this is only so for *this particular domain* - the administrator mail works in the other domain (weavebrain.com.au)...so there must be something corrupt in the ispconfig database in relation with this domain.

    I suppose creating a fresh version of the domain might fix this, however I don't really want to blow away the entire domain, web files and all. So how can I get the Admistrator's mail working? Hmmm.....

    TIA,
    Bo
     
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  6. falko

    falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

    Do the mails maybe arrive in another account, maybe in the CatchAll account of the first web site, if you set one up? Have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/faq/9_33_en.html
     
  7. Bodo

    Bodo New Member

    Thank you for your response Falko :)
    No, I have turned off all catchalls, but this has no effect. Just to make it clear, I've done a lot of playing around with this issue since my first post. As soon as I untick the Administrator box the account receives e-mail. Turn it back on and the emails get lost. Log entry:

    Code:
    Oct 15 07:37:15 mulloway procmail[31317]: Suspicious rcfile "/var/www/web10/.procmailrc"
    Oct 15 07:37:16 mulloway postfix/local[31316]: 717DC654D27: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<[email protected]>, relay=local, delay=2, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/bin/procmail -f-)
    Oct 15 07:37:16 mulloway postfix/qmgr[31018]: 717DC654D27: removed 
    
    :eek:

    B.
     
  8. till

    till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

    The log entrys are correct. Please check the administrator checkbox, wait about a minute and then post the output of the command:

    ls -la from within the home directory of the admin user. You will get the home directory by having a look in the /etc/passwd file.
     

Share This Page