ISPconfig3 - Fully Qualified Domain Name, Nameserver

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by lundix, Apr 8, 2012.

1. lundix

lundix New Member

I did the tutorial Perfect Server ISPConfig3 Ubuntu 11.10 and appreciated it highly. Clear instructions and taking care of all the important details. Very good tutorial. I had the system running (on my LAN and I could access the server through a virtual server on my router using my public IP). None the less, now I have registered a domain name and I want to try it out "for real" using it for my company website. I am not sure if i have to run through the set-up again and add the correct FQDN or if it can be modified retroactive.

So my questions are:

1. Can I change my server name to a FQDN retroactive so that ISPConfig has the FQDN name in the admin pages or do I need to make a fresh install?

2. I guess it is necessary to advertise the servers public IP in some way in the /etc/hostfiles? Should I add a second line with the servername and public ip or will that be unecessary?

3. Will my FQDN server also be the name of the nameserver? I.ex shoul i register it as the nameserver at the domain register company where i bought my domain name?

Regards,
    lundix

2. till

till Super Moderator

1) You can change the name.
    2) Thats not nescessary.
    3) The name van be different, but I recommend that you use the fqdn hostname for the beginning.