ISPconfig3 and webalizer create confusion.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by olieb, Jun 21, 2011.

  1. olieb

    olieb New Member

    Following the Howto: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-11.04-ispconfig-3 I set up my server as: server1.domain1.com. Created client1 with domain1.com. Created my website on it. No issues.
    Then I created 2 more domains for client1.
    Initially I could only access the first website with Filezilla over SFTP-SSH. After I changed the owners of web2 and web3 to web1:client1, I could also access these sites with the same username as defined for web1.
    Code:
    ....
    drwxr-x--x 8 web1 client1 4096 2011-06-19 00:30 web1
    drwxr-x--x 7 web1 client1 4096 2011-06-20 14:35 web2
    drwxr-x--x 7 web1 client1 4096 2011-06-20 14:35 web3
    Now I am looking at the webalizer part of IspConfig:
    Code:
    root@server1:~# ls -l /var/log/ispconfig/httpd/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 2011-06-21 08:56 domain1.com
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 2011-06-21 10:21 server1.domain1.com
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 2011-06-21 02:43 domain2.com
    drwxr-xr-x 2 web1 client1 4096 2011-06-21 04:04 domain3.com
    
    Looking to the contents of the individual domain webalizer.conf files, I get confused.
    Domain1:
    Code:
    LogFile /var/log/apache2/access.log
    #LogType	clf
    OutputDir /var/www/webalizer
    HistoryName /var/www/clients/client1/web1/web/stats/webalizer.hist
    Incremental yes
    IncrementalName /var/www/clients/client1/web1/web/stats/webalizer.current
    ReportTitle Usage statistics for
    HostName server1.domain1.com
    
    Domain2:
    Code:
    LogFile /var/log/apache2/domain1.com/access.log
    LogType	clf
    OutputDir /var/www/webalizer
    HistoryName /var/www/clients/client1/web2/web/stats/webalizer.hist
    Incremental yes
    IncrementalName /var/www/clients/client1/web2/web/stats/webalizer.current
    ReportTitle Usage statistics for
    HostName server1.domain1.com
    
    for domain3:
    Code:
    LogFile /var/log/apache2/domain1.com/access.log
    LogType	clf
    OutputDir /var/www/webalizer
    HistoryName /var/www/clients/client1/web3/web/stats/webalizer.hist
    Incremental yes
    IncrementalName /var/www/clients/client1/web3/web/stats/webalizer.current
    ReportTitle Usage statistics for
    HostName server1.domain1.com
    
    As far as I can see these 3 run daily at 00.30 hrs, and output goes into /webx/web/stats

    Sofar I have in /etc/webalizer 1 webalizer.conf file for domain1.
    Code:
    LogFile /var/log/apache2/domain1.com/access.log
    LogType	clf
    OutputDir /var/www/webalizer
    HistoryName     webalizer.hist
    Incremental     yes
    IncrementalName webalizer.current
    ReportTitle Usage statistics for
    HostName server1.domain1.com
    
    This is run through a cron job outside IspConfig on an hourly basis, while I optimize the report.

    My questions:
    1. Why did I have to set the server hostname to server1.domain1.com. Why not to just server1?
    2. Why does domain3 have owners: web1:cllient1 and the others root:root. Should I change these manually and if yes to what?
    3. What should I change in the webalizer.conf files for the 3 domains? They all have the same outputdir as my webalizer.conf file in /etc/webalizer. Domain 2 and 3 use the logfile from domain1 and domain1 uses the logfile from apache2.

    Hope you understand why I am confused. :confused:
     
  2. till

    till Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

    This was a bad idea as you broke the ispconfig system with that. Every website ahs its own user. You shoiuld undo that.

    To your other questions:

    1) Because every server that is connected to the internet needs a fully qualified hostname. Otherwise other servers can not lookup its hostname.

    2) Most likely because you broke the system with your changes.

    3) This is not a file from ispconfig nor used by ispconfig. ispconfig configures webalizer on the commandline and creates the stats for the domains based on the vhost logfiles. The /etc/webalizer file is most likely from your linux distribution and should be disabled.
     
  3. olieb

    olieb New Member

    I undid the changes I made.
    With respect to point 3, I believe that is due to the Howto which I followed which installs webalizer.
    Domain2 and domain3 I have to resinstall. Will do that tomorrow.

    Thanks for your help.:eek:
     

Share This Page