ispconfig update now all my emails are new again

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mmidgett, Nov 3, 2011.

1. mmidgett

mmidgett Member

I ran the update to 3.0.4 last night and everything is working fine except i have 2 email boxes that are trying to down load every email stored in them. How can i fix this? Would be a big problem but I have 1000's of emails stored.

Ubuntu 10.04 lts

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thats strange as the update does not update alter any existing mailboxes.

Which pop3 client tries to redownload the emails?

3. mmidgett

mmidgett Member

my android phone and windows live mail. I think that it happends when it reconfigures all services. as far as i know its just 2 boxes, other addresses are working fine.

i ran postfix flush and postsuper -d all and it said deleting 34000 messages. still doing the same thing.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  4. mmidgett

mmidgett Member

just got a call from my dad and his thunderbird client is downloading all mail. i also have a custom rule thats forwards to his text messages. his phone is blowing up. ive changes the rule so i dont cause him to go over his limit. 500 txt's in a few hours.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

But the settings of individual mailboxes are not touched when the updater reconfigures services. Also when mails are fetched by thunderbird, they will never appear in the mailqueue again.

Can it be that the emails are not stored on this server and that you use a fetchmail job to fetch the emails from a external server? Thts the only scenario that i can think of that you can find emails in the mailqueue. So if thats the case, you should check your fetchmail jobs in ispconfig and check if the retrieveallemail option is enabled. If thst the case, disable that option as it forces fetchmail to download all emails again from the external server.

6. mmidgett

mmidgett Member

All mail is stored locally on this sever. There is no fetchmail to external servers. I use some getmail to get some gmails but those are not whats causing it. It has done this before when i updated. I don't know whats going on but you can have access if you like. Its just two mailboxes, others are not being affected. I have 10 or so domains and about 30 mailboxes. Just glad its my personal domains and not the clients.

7. mmidgett

mmidgett Member

in squirlmail its showing that i have 13,564 emails and I know thats incorrect. It has duplicated them by like 6 times.

Correction, all emails were duplicated 25 times.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  8. mmidgett

mmidgett Member

I have fixed the problem for now. This is not a complete fix but here is what I did.

I created a new connection in outlook using imap instead of POP3. I then went to view > current view and selected to hide read emails. I then ran select all and delete and purge. This removed all the duplicates and unread email. I had to do this for both accounts and this has caused the pop3 clients to stop downloading.

9. mmidgett

mmidgett Member

Well 5 hours later it has started doing this again. I really need help.

10. mmidgett

mmidgett Member

I never could fix this problem with out deleting the mail domain. I removed the mail domain and set backup the email address. Restored the backup for the user mail and then conneced my pop client back at witch it downloaded all emails again and I made them not new and all is good now.

Thank you Till for your help.