ispconfig operations log

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ispcomm, Nov 27, 2013.

1. ispcomm

ispcomm Member

Is there a way to get the operations log for an ispconfig installation?

I'm looking to a flight recording or additions, deletions, modifications etc. A sort of who made what and when log.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

All operations incl. the user which did them are stored in the sys_datalog table. When you enable log level debug in ispconfig, then you see all changes alo in the ispconfig.log file, but this log does not contain the information which user was logged into the interface to do the changes.

3. ispcomm

ispcomm Member

Debugging also logs a lot more information than necessary. It is really necessary to have a trace of who changed what. This is very important for larger deployments, where you have multiple resellers using multiple users to do things.

When things disappear, or get misconfigured by human error, it's important to be able to look what changed, when and by who.

As an admin, I could also use this information for other things like billing and monitoring resource usage, not to mention other more advanced activities used for analyzing customer behavior.

4. till

Right, and thats all stores in the sys_datalog.

5. ispcomm

ispcomm Member

I'm browsing the sys_datalog table right now. I have 555 rows in total. It seems that the operations made with the remoting api are not logged.

I'm puzzled, as I tought the sys_datalog was used for replicating between mirrored servers, hence those remoting operations should be there.

Please explain what I'm missing.

6. till

All operations that trigger a change in the server configuration are logged, it does not matter if you use the interface or the api. This includes also all changes for the local server as ispconfig is split into 2 independant parts, then interface and the server and the server part gets all its information from sys_datalog only.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  7. ispcomm

ispcomm Member

This is what I'm saying... I have thousands of mail users created with the remoting api, but nothing in the sys_datalog. Basically only the operations made trough the web interface are there. This is really strange.

8. till

When did you create them? More then 30 days ago?

9. ispcomm

ispcomm Member

I guess so. So there's a 30 day retention period ? Makes sense to me.

10. till

Yes, ispconfig removes all records that are older then 30 days in the nightly running cronjob. otherwie the table would get too big on larger installations. This measn on the other side for multiserver setups, if you shutdown a slave for more then 30 days, it will not be able to resync itself with the master automatically. But I guess a maintenance outtage that lasts a month is not happen that often.