ISPConfig Multi Server Replication using the same hostnames

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Nioubee, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Nioubee

Nioubee New Member

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if it is possible to create a replication of my servers using the same hostname.

Actually, The multi server is using three IP addresses.

One for ISPConfig (web gui), E-mail, Mailing list, Websites, Awstats/Vlogger, FTP
    The second for the master DNS server
    The third for the slave DNS server.

Everything is fine now, but every year the small cable modem ISP on which I am working for, gets at least, if it's not more, two fiber cuts per year.

So I'm planning to buy some VPS in Europe to get redundancy and to prevent these long downtime.

My question, if I am installing using the same Debian Wheezy distro AMD64 on the other virtualization server, will it be possible to configure them using the same hostname than the current, let's say my primary ISPConfig server is ispconfig.example.com, can i configure the second one using the same hostname and then add another [A] Record on the DNS Zone to the other IP address ? If so, will the mails be distributed into the two mail servers ?

Finally, when I am into the ISPConfig panel and I set the second ISPConfig server as a replication of the primary server; the currents sites and databases will be copied over the network to the other server ?

Thanks for anyone in advance whom can help me for this situation.
    Regards

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The hostname of the server should be unique because the hostname is the name to identify a server. This does not mean that you can not have the same domain on both servers in a mirror setup.

ISPConfig mirrors the configuration between the servers. The filesystem and database mirroring is done by other software as described in the mirror setup guide:

http://www.howtoforge.com/installin...tabase-cluster-on-debian-6.0-with-ispconfig-3

But I doubt that a mirror will work in your case as a mirror is a high availability setup that requires a high bandwisth between the servers like 1Gbit for servers with higher traffic and I wont use it with less then 100Mbit connection. So both servers should be in the same datacenter.