ISPConfig installation - mount -o remount / question

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by CK13, Feb 3, 2014.

1. CK13

CK13 New Member

Hi, i'm new to ispconfig, was using Kloxo-MR until now.
    Yesterday i decided to install ispconfig on ubuntu 13.04 following this tutorial.
    During the installation i got only one "error" with the command
    Code:
    mount -o remount /
    was something about permission denied.

I continued with the setup and ispconfig is working, but i'm not totally fine with the fact that i got that "error".

Is it something to worry about ? Did i do something wrong during the installation?
    I plan on reinstalling ispconfig on centos but first i would like to clarify this.

And one more thing, when i try to send a mail from squirrelmail i get this error:

2. Quaxth

Quaxth New Member

Instead of using CentOS while you plan to re-install, use Debian 7.3 because ISPConfig was developed using Debian and would run with no problems.

Anyway, it's just up to you what to do and use!!;)

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There are several things that might cause this. either the command was not run as root user or you use a virtual server were a remount of the / filesystem is not allowed.

There must be a filesystem permission error in the squirrelmail or postfix setup or the harddisk is full.

While ispconfig works fine on Centos, the recommended and most stable Linux Distribution for ISPConfig is Debian Linux (or Ubuntu LTS Server) like Quaxth pointed out already.

4. CK13

CK13 New Member

I was running the command as root.
    How important is that command? Is it a big problem if it's omitted?

I will try debian then, and if i get that error again i will contact my hosting provider to see what can be done.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Quota will not be active without the remount. But you can reboot the server instead, this will activate quota as well.

6. CK13

CK13 New Member

Considering i'm the only one on the server can i just not install quota?
    If yes it's only this commands related to quota:
    Code:
    mount -o remount /

quotacheck -avugm
    quotaon -avug
    And the install one:
    Code:
    apt-get install pure-ftpd-common pure-ftpd-mysql quota quotatool