ISPCONFIG install host name question.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by badgerbox76, Oct 3, 2006.

1. badgerbox76

badgerbox76 Member

I just finished installing ispconfing but during that last steps of the install when its asks you for the host (Example:please enter the host name: E.g. www) i entered www the first time then my domain (Example:please enter the domain: E.g. xyz.de) monitorwaves.no-ip.org but it said it could not reach my system at this so the next time it gave me Please enter the host name: E.g. www i left it blank and then entered my domain name monitorwaves.no-ip.org and it finished the install. I belive i need to correct this inorder of ispconfig to funtion properly.

2. Destroyer

Destroyer New Member

Hi,

(Example:please enter the host name: E.g. www) monitorwaves

(Example:please enter the domain: E.g. xyz.de)no-ip.org

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can correct this setting in ISPConfig under management > server > settings.

4. badgerbox76

badgerbox76 Member

Ok i change www to monitorwaves and domain to no-ip.org . I still cant reach the site at http://www.monitorwaves.no-ip.org/ . I can only reach it at http://monitorwaves.no-ip.org/ and when i get there i get the server index index of / . I have restarted ispconfig and restarted my computer but there is still no change. I have had this problem for such along time i am thinking about just forgeting about computers all together :(

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Even a wrong hostname in ISPConfig does not make the server unreachable, so your problem must be related to another issue. I guess this issue is a wrong setting at no-ip.org and not your server.

If you run:

and
    Are both addresses reachable and shop the same IP address? If not, check the configuration of www.monitorwaves.no-ip.org at no-ip.org.

6. badgerbox76

badgerbox76 Member

I will play with it some more and see if i can find out more. My server has been off, so that could be why its unreachable.

7. badgerbox76

badgerbox76 Member

OK i got part of my dns working. Now when you enter http://monitorwaves.homelinux.com/ it takes you to the right directory. (NOTE: Yes i got a new dns name) but i still cant figureout how to get the site to work with www

Here are all the domains i have for the site:
    Host:monitorwaves
    Domain:homelinux.com

Host:

Host:www
    Domain:monitorwaves.homelinux.com

Even with all these domains i still cant access the site with the www. Also a friend of mine wants to host his site with this dns 32bit.at/KLowD9x http://www.32bit.at/KLowD9x/ i cant get it to even redirect to the right direcoty like i did with monitorwaves. How can i fix these problems? Thanks again guys!

8. Hans

Hans Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Did you create these host & domain names with the option "new site" or did you entered them into the co-domain field of an existing site?

It must work when you enter the hostname domain names into the co-domain field.

Forwarding from one seperate site to another site on the same ISPConfig server is not possible.

9. badgerbox76

badgerbox76 Member

This host/domain is one the front page of my site in ispconfig

Host:monitorwaves

The other domains and host. All the ones below are in co-domain

Host:

Domain:monitorwaves.homelinux.com

Also i seem to be having problems with DNS names with numbers and symbols like - is this a known problem if you how can i fix it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  10. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

www.monitorwaves.homelinux.com doesn't exist in DNS:

Code:
    dig www.monitorwaves.homelinux.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> www.monitorwaves.homelinux.com
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 2710
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;www.monitorwaves.homelinux.com.        IN      A

;; Query time: 19 msec
    ;; SERVER: 145.253.2.75#53(145.253.2.75)
    ;; WHEN: Mon Oct  9 14:37:05 2006
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 48
    If homelinux.com allows you to create www.monitorwaves.homelinux.com, do it now, if they don't allow it, then you're lost...

11. badgerbox76

badgerbox76 Member

WTF! All my sites that where working with out the www infront of them now DONT! I have not messed with the sites since last night and they where all working. Now all the sites get the shared ip page! Whats going on i did not do any thing. Also i notices a new site was created could some one have hacked into it over the night? How can i tell. Thanks

12. falko

Have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/faq/1_38_en.html

13. badgerbox76

badgerbox76 Member

14. falko

It adds another level of security, but it's no replacement for chkrootkit and rkhunter.