ISPCONFIG in Docker doesn´t populate error logs

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by TonySkate, Feb 24, 2020.

1. TonySkate

TonySkate New Member

Hello, I have Ispconfig in docker on debian using https://hub.docker.com/r/anthony9981/ispconfig

ISPCONFIG runs but there are no error or other logs in "log" folder inside created web folders. Seems like it has no rights to write into it? Which module is responsible for writing into "log" folder? How should be chmoded? Shoudl I serach for other log somewhere to find the reason why logging is not working?

Thanks.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

What owner, group owner and permissions does that directory have?
    Code:
    # ls -lh
    total 116K
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       7 Dec  1 13:19 bin -> usr/bin
    drwxr-xr-x 2 web2 client1 4.0K Dec  1 13:00 cgi-bin
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4.0K Feb 13 13:59 dev
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root    4.0K Feb 22 17:59 etc
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root    4.0K Dec  1 13:19 home
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       7 Dec  1 13:19 lib -> usr/lib
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       9 Dec  1 13:19 lib64 -> usr/lib64
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4.0K Feb 24 00:03 log
    drwx--x--- 2 web2 client1 4.0K Dec  1 13:00 private
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4.0K Dec  1 17:51 ssl
    drwxrwxrwx 2 web2 client1  68K Feb 18 23:00 tmp
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root    4.0K Dec  1 13:19 usr
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root    4.0K Dec  1 13:19 var
    drwx--x--x 5 web2 client1 4.0K Dec  3 18:04 web
    drwx--x--- 2 web2 client1 4.0K Dec  1 13:00 webdav
    Have you asked the creator of that docker instance if the error is in the docker? Were there any installation or setup instructions for that docker instance?

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The logs are written to /var/log/ispconfig/httpd/domain.tld/ and then mounted with a bind mount into the log folder of the site. It might be that this does not work inside Docker. I recommend that you use a normal ISPConfig installation, install a normal VM with KVM or any other Linux full virtualization system and install ISPConfig inside, the Docker images are not from ISPConfig and are not supported.

4. TonySkate

TonySkate New Member

Hi and thanks. I found a solution. If docker runs in Unraid it is neccesarry to use privileged mode unless it can´t mount some resources...

5. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I have had that same issue with lxc containers in unprivileged mode in the past, too. While you can configure it to allow the bind mounts, you have to do so for every website, which is an ongoing nuisance. Rather than reducing security by running in privileged mode, we increased security by switching to a qemu vm. You know, "do what @till recommended." :)