ISPConfig getting worse by the day

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by midcarolina, Aug 30, 2011.

1. midcarolina

midcarolina New Member

Trying to add a new site to "The Perfect Server" with ISPConfig 3. The Control Panel used to at least create everything and accessing worked fine (like phpMyAdmin, FTP, etc.) Now ISPConfig is creating all of the accounts, like a new FTP user for new domain. Shows up in ISPConfig 3 panel fine....doesn't work. Created MySql Database. While the table was always empty, at least the database name was there (as shown perfectly in CP), now had to manually name the database as well. Trying to connect and transfer files w/ FTP says "503 Login Authentication Failed". "Critical Error" Turned right around and logged into original site with same FTP credentials just fine. Settings in ISPConfig CP are "fine". ISPConfig seems to be getting worse with each passing day. Nothing works really at all.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator

From your previous posts I get the impression that you are doing something fundamentally wrong, but it's hard to tell from the distance what it is. All I can say that ISPConfig is working as expected for me...

Did you check your logs? How exactly did you set up your server?

3. midcarolina

midcarolina New Member

I followed HowToForge's "The Perfect Server" for Fedora 14 Linux to the tee. Every response I received along the way and upon completion was the exact expected response according to the install.

4. mentes

mentes New Member

Check logs is the best way for know what happens.

The ftp connection problems can be that you are banned by fail2ban.

Your server is connected through a firewall or NAT ?

5. midcarolina

midcarolina New Member

The server is connected through / via NAT. The only issue I have with the fail2ban possibilities is that the new domain / site is under the same account as the one that works (is live). That FTP client is set-up precisely as the new domain and accesses perfectly with SSH File Transfer or FTP.

Not sure that it matters anyway. I have checked bind...online perfectly...all servers using the ISPConfig "Monitor" are online. In the ISPConfig database, all websites (domains) are listed precisely, yet ISPConfig file system doesn't at all.

It may be time to consider another reliable control panel option. Any recommendations on a stable and less finicky open source control panel?

6. mentes

mentes New Member

I'm not sure I understand your problem. Some FTP accounts works fine and others not ?

When you talk about DB is a DB for site or ISPConfig's DB ?

The problem isn't ISPConfig.

You should be check carefully processes, configuration files and logs for know what fails.

You can download a well configured ISPConfig images from here http://www.howtoforge.com/list-of-downloadable-vmware-images and compare it with your installation.

7. midcarolina

midcarolina New Member

Yes, you have it correct. One FTP is fine and the other is not. They are under the exact same account with the exact same steps taken to configure.

What I was referring to about the databases were two different items.

First, when you create a database in ISPConfig, and then log into phpMyAdmin, the database NAME is there, waiting for you to drop (or build) the tables. In ISPConfig's CP, it shows the new domain's database listed, named, etc., but logging into phpMyAdmin.....empty.

The other database issue is that when you add new sites using ISPConfig, the information that is shown in the Control Panel is also shown is ISPConfig's Database. Both site's information is staring me in the face in THIS database, yet the information is useless for the new site. ISPConfig created no file path for the new site, even though it did add the new web2 file.

8. till

till Super Moderator

1) Check in the ispconfig monitor if there are any pending jobs listed in the jobqueue.
    2) Check in the ispconfig monitor, if there are any errors listed in the system log.
    3) get the directories created when you run:

/usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh

as root user on the shell?

4) Is the mysql root password in the file /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf correct?

9. midcarolina

midcarolina New Member

Till,

In the ISP "Monitor" Jobque, there is a one page list of items that range from dns items to ftp items and mail items. Under the "Action" section for all listed is "Update".

As for the system error log - this is empty

running /usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh returns no action. It returns me to the [@root] prompt

As for /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/mysql_clientdb.conf the answer is "Yes" the password is correct.

10. mentes

mentes New Member

If you have items in Jobqueue it means this actions isn't executed yet. If you add a new ftp account but is in queue this account doesn't work.

When you run

Code:
    sh /usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh
    You should get

Code:
    root@main:~# sh /usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh
    finished.
    root@main:~# 
    And queue list will be empty.

11. midcarolina

midcarolina New Member

Not sure why, but running that command gives the same output as earlier, just a return to root. Here is the output:

[root@webserver ~]# sh /usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh
    [root@webserver ~]#

Thanks

12. mentes

mentes New Member

Is your Jobqueue list empty now ?

13. midcarolina

midcarolina New Member

No it is not. Still some DNS FTP and other items left, about one full page. Don't really understand this when I set up the first domain using ISPConfig in the same way. This site is live and running perfectly. All information has been imputed the exact same way. No changes to the server have been made at all.

14. mentes

mentes New Member

Try run this, maybe you get some error:

Code:
    php /usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.php 

15. midcarolina

midcarolina New Member

Hi mentes,

Same outcome...return to root:

[root@webserver ~]# php /usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.php
    [root@webserver ~]#

Thanks again

16. mentes

mentes New Member

Well, seems something is wrong with your server.php

Do you have some file in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/temp ?

In server.php line 53 there is:

PHP:
    //* Load the server configuration
    And I think this should be:

PHP:
    // Load the server configuration
    In my server works fine with asterisk but try to remove it.

Line 65 and 100 has tab spaces, you can try removing these lines too.

17. till

till Super Moderator

@mentes: This line should not make a difference, it is a comment. If there is a difference between your file and the one of midcarolina, then you must run a different ispconfig version then he is running.

@midcarolina: Which ispconfig version do you have installed? And it might be that the commandline php on your server is not working. What is the output of the commands:

which php

and:

php -v

18. midcarolina

midcarolina New Member

Hi Till,

No offense @mentes (thanks for the help), but that was my first thought too - this is // commented out, usually just a notation to the programmer of possible functions for the next commands?

I used "HowToForge" install instructions for Fedora 14 x84_64 bit with ISPConfig 3

The php version is 5.3.6 according to php -v

Thanks for the help.

19. till

till Super Moderator

The string // instructs the php interpreter ti ignore everything in this line after the //. So whats behind // does not matter for the program code at all.

By the way, you can be sure that you dont have to search anything in the code for errors if you havent changed the code yourself as ispconfig is working fine on ten thouasands of servers with about 15 thousand new installs per month.

You missed to post the output of the which command that I asked for and you did not post the version number of ispconfig that is installed on your server.

20. midcarolina

midcarolina New Member

Till,

The other outcome was /usr/bin/php

The version is 3.0.3.3