ISPConfig 3 move to another server

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by rputnins, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Dianaclau28

Dianaclau28 New Member

Thx..i've read the tutorial....but:
    1: i don't understant 1.b
    2. i don't understand 3.
    3. maybe i wasn't clear: i'm trying to move clients and websites and db from one HDD to another HDD (fresh IspConfig) using windows.

Thx for the quick reply and i hope you wil give me some info and not just a link.

Dyana

2. ikrudolf

ikrudolf Member

Good luck, don't have any additional information for you.
    I guess (just) this link will give you enough information migrating your data.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I doubt that windows can preserve the correct owner information of files and folders. better login from windows with putty on the source server, make a tar.gz file of the data (with preserved permissions!), then copy the tar.gz file to the new server and extract it there on the shell.

4. Chris_UK

Chris_UK Member HowtoForge Supporter

Having lost a full day trying to get dns moved to a new server (which thanks to one of your posts @till that i eventually found at the start of day 2 it actually turned out to be far easier than i had thought).

My use case was a move from single server setup to multi-server changing the dns server id in the panels database then resync was all that was needed and the new server was singing along.

The installer in expert mode (3 stable) has some dependency issues (I was adding bind and mysql server only) as i followed an old tutorial for debian squeeze i think it was, referencing some version of php5-cli etc etc, I used php7.0-cli along with all the other relevant additions without issue.

The one thing that did hit me was the need to install php7.0-mbstring (if i recall that correctly) . I used that installation guide because i couldnt find a more recent one so i don't know if there is one that identifies the dependencies of later ispconfig versions.

In any case that was slightly off topic, i think there should be tools added to migrate between servers, not sure about from multi to single seems most people will be going the other way, but certainly from single to multi or simply one server to another, but the option has to be available to migrate a single service if need be. Im currently sitting with mail, web and database on the server when really what i want is a complete multi server setup, but having read this thread and my experience trying to find current information, im certainly in no mind to move those services manually. For instance, your migrate tool for dns would only need to update the id and run the resync, i cant see why its not done when manual changes are iffy at best.

5. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

6. Chris_UK

Chris_UK Member HowtoForge Supporter

I had not seen that. I was not expecting it to be an addon, I understand the need for supporting the project but I personally would consider it to be a core functionality. All the same its good to see that there is something even if it is a paid for tool.

7. muekno

muekno Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have a similar problem moving a site. There are lot posts about that none meets my situation.
    1. running newest ISPConfig 3.1.9
    2. have two webserver, old debian jessie, new debian stretch, both do nothing than webserver witch apache
    3. separate Database server
    4. on the new server there are new sites
    5. only one site (pure html) has a shell user, this one might be created new if can not be moved, one other sites is pure html (may be saved an created new, no problem) the others TYPO3 (may be save and created new too)
    now I want to move the other sites, residing on the old server to the new server. Save and create new or is there a simpler way to move. Number of site are less then 10.
    What do you recommend?

Thanks Rainer

8. Taleman

How is your situation different from all the others? If I understood correctly, you have two hosts for websites, let's call them host J and host S. Seems you want to move about 10 websites from J to S, is this correct?
    If this is ISPConfig multiserver setup, I would create new websites on host S and move the websites by copying files. If the database stays on the separate database server dumping and moving database is not needed. Just don't have two websites running at the same time if they use the same database.

9. muekno

Yes that's correct so far, the difference is I do not have databases to move and only one user, so on the first view it's easier and so I thought there is an easier way too. But one question remains. As I know I can not create a second website with the same name even at an other server. On the other hand if I delete a site in ISPConfig the files will be deleted too as I know, so just copy from J to S will not work, I have to backup it to a third place, what means double time for copying.

Rainer

10. Taleman

It is better to not delate sites before the new setup is working.
    Change the name of website on J, create website on S with the wanted name, copy files and change DNS to point to S.

11. muekno

thank you, good Idea