Ispconfig 3 for all but mail kills internal routing of e-mail

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by pmurphy881, Dec 24, 2013.

1. pmurphy881

pmurphy881 New Member

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I setup a test email server that I wanted to move to... (Kolab 3) and it worked very well and eventually moved into production. I setup a new ISPConfig3 server to host everything but the e-mail, but ever since I did that, nobody in inside or any server inside the building connected through the ISPConfig3 server can e-mail anyone. I have 2 domains running through that server and neither of them can e-mail each other since I setup ISPConfig3. But I have disabled the mail functionality by going to Systems... Clicking on my server name... and removing the checkbox from mailserver.

Did I miss something, or am I stuck like this. I need to have the ability to e-mail internally.
  2. pmurphy881

pmurphy881 New Member

Here is what I am finding. The problem only exists on the internal network. It routes properly outside of the network, but inside of the network the ISPconfig3 server is saying that the mail server is looping back to itself. See the error code below.

Dec 27 10:04:32 websrv postfix/smtp[16635]: 6F11E3A402DC: to=<[email protected]>, relay=none, delay=0.09, delays=0.08/0.01/0/0, dsn=5.4.6, status=bounced (mail for loops back to myself)

But in the DNS settings of the ISPconfig3 box for the site it is setup to have the proper A records for pointing to ip where the A record for the domain and the A record is pointing to which is the ISPconfig3 box.

What am I missing to have it route properly?
  3. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

can you ssh into that box and do a ping on those domains?

Just to make sure that DNS is really properly setup and that they resolve to the server itself.
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The message you posted is from postfix, not ispconfig. It means that has been configured manually in postfix (not trough ispconfig). The mos likely reason for that is that you used as hostname or mailname in postfix file or that you configured postfix manually and inserted it into a virtuser file.
  5. pmurphy881

pmurphy881 New Member

I can SSH and Ping all the servers from any of the servers below. This is how they are setup.

I have already setup the sites and DNS records for these servers through ISPconfig as well. (Ispconfig 3 box) (Kolab mail server) (Kolab mail server)

My Postfix Configuration

queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
    command_directory = /usr/sbin
    daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
    data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
    mail_owner = postfix
    inet_interfaces = all
    inet_protocols = all
    mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain
    unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
    alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
    alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
    debug_peer_level = 2
    debugger_command =
    ddd $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5

sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
    newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases.postfix
    mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
    setgid_group = postdrop
    html_directory = no
    manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
    sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.6.6/samples
    readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.6.6/README_FILES
  6. pmurphy881

pmurphy881 New Member

Turns out that I had made the error. I had a typo in my Windows DNS Server and it had nothing to do with ISPConfig 3 at all or postfix. The Server is inside an Active Directory Network, so I still use the Windows DNS.

Thank you to all who provided some assistance with this matter, but it appears that ISPconfig3 is still Amazing and human error is the cause of my troubles again.