IspConfig 3 Email Routing

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by dylan.chrysanthou, May 31, 2018.

1. dylan.chrysanthou

dylan.chrysanthou New Member

Hi All,
    I am hoping someone can assist.

I have an ISPconfig 3 server hosted in the cloud. I need to route mail sent to a domain whose MX records are pointed at this box to a onsite mail server.
    I have configured the domain under email routing:
    Server: My Server
    Domain: domain.com
    No MX Lookup ticked
    destination: 1.2.3.4
    Sort by 5
    Active: Ticked.

When i check mail.log emails are rejected as mail relay access denied.
    Is there something i am missing. I know if i add the domain under mail domains, ISPConfig is going to reject mail as the address wont be in the virtual address tables.
    Any assistance will be appreciated/

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Add the email addresses that shall be forwarded under relay recipients in the mail module in ispconfig, or alternatively add @domain.tld there to forward anything for that domain. In the second case, the receiving server should accept all incoming emails to not produce backscatter.

3. dylan.chrysanthou

I assume you mean Relay Recipients. I have tested that with an individual address as well as @domain.com...

4. till

Did you add that domain as email domain? If yes, remove the email domain.

5. dylan.chrysanthou

I did initially add it but then realized on the bounce back that the mailbox user wont be found.

6. till

Then it should work when you add the email routing, the relay recipient and don't add it as email domain. I use that setup here on several servers in front of exchange servers.

7. dylan.chrysanthou

It's weird i agree. Theoretically it should work. I can only think that something in postfix is not configured correctly.
    Below is the precise log in mail.log, i have just redacted the addresses:
    May 31 14:45:50 myserver postfix/smtpd[187727]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mail-ve1eur01on0118.outbound.protection.outlook.com[104.47.1.118]: 454 4.7.1 <[email protected]>: Relay access denied; from=<[email protected]> to=<[email protected]> proto=ESMTP helo=<EUR01-VE1-obe.outbound.protection.outlook.com>

8. dylan.chrysanthou

Interestingly if I add a mailbox on a different domain to the server, and correctly point MX records etc. When I try and send an email to one of the mailboxes that needs to be transported, I receive the below:

<[email protected]>: mail a.co.za loops back to myself

9. dylan.chrysanthou

Problem Still exists, as a temporary solution. I have configured the mail accounts and am just fetching the mail via fetchmail on the local server. Will try recreate the problem with a VM.

10. ztk.me

ztk.me ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

well, you have probably no right to pretend to be ve1eur01on0118.outbound.protection.outlook.com while trying to route the mail as is from a to b. fetching mail or forwarding mails might work, but this is not the situation where you are one of the mail routers from microsoft ;)

11. dylan.chrysanthou

Perhaps i have miss typed the redactions. I am not trying to be microsoft servers. Scenario is as follows:
    There is a domain, [email protected], b.co.za has a local domain server, what i am trying to do is route the mail through my ispconfig server and have it relay the mail to the local mail server. The relay error above is what is logged in the mail.log when a different domain tries to send mail to @b.co.za