for anyone interested in the vmware appliance (first post) there was a problem with the listening IP addresses in mydns. it had "listen = *" which should work on all IPs. but when i changed the IP of the appliance mydns answered only to localhost queries and not my new IP. this continued even after a mydns restart. i changed * to the new IP, restarted mydns and all worked fine (but no answer from localhost now!). So i changed back to * and restarted mydns again and all is fine now. both localhost and the new IP work ok. edit: also in the firewall wizard add open ports for secure pop3, imap and secure imap or these services won't work with firewall enabled!