Intelligent DNS, Load Balancing with ISPConfig?

Discussion in 'General' started by TonyG, May 11, 2022.

1. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

I'm trying to understand how we might be able to do load balancing - routing of traffic based on client locale, similar to Cloudflare Load Balancing. For example, when a request is made from Australia, process it with an Australian server rather than from Europe or USA.

If we can identify a client's locale in a BIND request, I'm wondering if we could then return an "A" record for a server that is closer to that locale. So, might anyone be using ISPConfig with BIND configured to return dynamic RR data ("A" Records) rather than static data from zone files? BIND supports hooks in query processing. (refs: docs, hooks.h) Is there something more built-in, more direct, standard, supported?

There's probably a better way to approach this. Suggestions?

I understand that this also requires application work, sync's of file system and/or database(s), etc.. Let's ignore that for now and focus on the DNS.

Thanks!

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Kinda sound weird to me because A record is fixed and not dynamic but may be it's best if you could draw a diagram and explaining what algorithms you wish to use in this load balancing schematic.

3. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Just setting up the views is pretty straightforward, if you manage the zones outside of ispconfig; trying to use ispconfig to manage the DNS and have multiple versions of the same zone is not going to work out of the box.