Installing Debian desktop GNOME!

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by AdykOSu, Jan 8, 2006.

1. AdykOSu

AdykOSu New Member

when i installed Debian 3.1 Stable, i forgot to install GNOME! at the moment i don't know how to do it! please help!

2. till

till Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

In debian, you can install every package with the apt-get command. The command finds all dependencies automatically.

To find a special package, in you case the gnome packages, type this on the commandline:

apt-cache search gnome

Then install all packages you want to install with:

apt-get install [PACKAGENAME]

Where you replace [PACKAGENAME] with the name of the package, if you want to install more then one package, you can add them with spaces.

Example:

apt-get install package1 package 2 pachkage3

All installation commands must be issued as root user, so either login as root or switch with the command "su" to root.

3. AdykOSu

AdykOSu New Member

Code:
    package gnome is not available, but is reffered to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source
    E:Package gnome has no installation candidate
    it says that when i use the command
    Code:
    apt-get install gnome
    i did insert the 1st cd into the cdrom drive!

do i have to mount the cdrom drive? how do i do that?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff Moderator HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

Did you run
    Code:
    apt-cache search gnome
    before, as Till suggested? This will show all Gnome-related packages, and from that list you can pick the packages you want.

5. daniel_rodriguez

daniel_rodriguez New Member

Had the same problem, if you didn't fix it yet here is what I did:

First, verify /etc/apt/sources.list. Could use apt-spy / netselect-apt to know fastest apt mirror

apt-get install install x-window-system

Once X installed proceed with gnome, following packages are minimum but gives you gnome gui based interface... so on it's easier to add other packages from synaptic.

apt-get install gnome-core gdm synaptic

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff Moderator HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

I guess you mean
    Code:
    apt-get install x-window-system

7. daniel_rodriguez

daniel_rodriguez New Member

yes, sorry for the typo error

8. pcotter

pcotter New Member

Will Gnome break Ispconfig? Can i install samba server?

Hello!

Will in any way Gnome installation break Ispconfig? I followed The Perfect Setup - Debian Sarge (3.1) by Falko.

Can i also install Samba Server for Windows access, without breaking ispconfig?

Thanx

9. falko

Yes, no problem. :)

10. tux-world

tux-world New Member

and for updating for new version....??

11. falko

What exactly do you mean? Updating ISPConfig or GNOME?

12. tux-world

tux-world New Member

for Updating GNOME version to 2.18.3
    for new VER of that

13. falko

You can update GNOME without problems. :)

14. carrt7

carrt7 New Member

sensible advice?

It may not be sensible to tell a new user to "apt-cache search gnome"? Did you ever try it?

You get at least a hundred lines of response - which you cannot read without a GUI or some extra knowledge.

carrt7, www.godornot.org