Install PHP 5.6 as and additional version on Ubuntu 18.04

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Fafa24, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Fafa24

Fafa24 New Member

Hello,

We have the latest ISPconfig 3.1 with PHP 7.2.5 on Ubuntu 18.04 installed. We would like to install an additional older PHP version 5.6 for customer website which required the older PHP version.

I have seen this tutorial "How to install PHP 5.6 as additional PHP-FPM & FastCGI for ISPConfig 3.1 on Ubuntu 16.04"

First - does this tutorial also work with Ubuntu 18.04? In that tutorial there are various options to configure PHP. When I did this I got config errors. To fix it I removed the options from configure, but not sure it was a good idea.

Thanks,
    Edy

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

3. Fafa24

Fafa24 New Member

Thanks - A tutorial for 18.04 would be perfect or a hint what change is necessary for 18.04 vs 16.10. I like the idea to have a lower version of PHP as addition in ISPconfig. The other option would be to configure a server with PHP 5.6.

4. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member

And we normally don't configure a server to lower version (php5.6), especially when default for Ubuntu 18.04 is php7.2.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    ztk.me likes this.
  5. Fafa24

Fafa24 New Member

thanks for the commands - This means I would need to change default to php5.6 in order to use it. Right?

6. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

No, do not change default PHP. ISPConfig most likely stops working if you do that.
    ISPConfig can handle multiple PHP versions per website, so you can use the PHP version you want for each website. But ISPConfig needs the PHP version that comes with the OS distribution.

7. Fafa24

Fafa24 New Member

Okay thanks - good to know