IMAP and POP3 ports not responding after ISPConfig 3 update

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Theoryman, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Try
    Code:
    apt-get install php7.3-mysql
    That should be part of the Perfect Server guide you followed; you might run back through and make sure you didn't miss any other packages/steps.

2. Theoryman

Theoryman New Member

That got us further! Thank you!
    Code:
    [email protected]:/# ispconfig_update.sh

ASCII Art removed

>> Update

Please choose the update method. For production systems select 'stable'.
    WARNING: The update from GIT is only for development systems and may break your current setup. Do not use the GIT version on servers that host any live websites!
    Note: Update all slave server, before you update master server.

Select update method (stable,git-stable,git-master) [stable]: git-stable

--2019-06-10 17:44:31--  https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/repository/archive.tar.gz?ref=stable-3.1
    Resolving git.ispconfig.org (git.ispconfig.org)... 159.69.100.117
    Connecting to git.ispconfig.org (git.ispconfig.org)|159.69.100.117|:443... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 3004444 (2.9M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: ‘ispconfig3-dev.tar.gz’

ispconfig3-dev.tar.gz     100%[=====================================>]   2.87M  2.28MB/s    in 1.3s

2019-06-10 17:44:32 (2.28 MB/s) - ‘ispconfig3-dev.tar.gz’ saved [3004444/3004444]

Latest git version:  ispconfig3-stable-3.1-e6bd0a7dfa0abc5dc2b26913c059405ae468a768

ASCII Art removed

>> Update

Operating System: Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS (Xenial Xerus)

This application will update ISPConfig 3 on your server.

Shall the script create a ISPConfig backup in /var/backup/ now? (yes,no) [yes]: yes

Creating backup of "/usr/local/ispconfig" directory...
    Creating backup of "/etc" directory...
    mysqldump: Got error: 1049: "Unknown database 'dbispconfig'" when selecting the database
    Checking ISPConfig database .. mysqlcheck: Got error: 1049: Unknown database 'dbispconfig' when selecting the database
    OK
    PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_detect_encoding() in /tmp/update_from_dev_stable.sh.fHnPxXqD4X/ispconfig3-stable-3.1-e6bd0a7dfa0abc5dc2b26913c059405ae468a768/install/lib/mysql.lib.php:448
    Stack trace:
    #0 /tmp/update_from_dev_stable.sh.fHnPxXqD4X/ispconfig3-stable-3.1-e6bd0a7dfa0abc5dc2b26913c059405ae468a768/install/lib/mysql.lib.php(166): db->escape('validate_passwo...')
    #1 /tmp/update_from_dev_stable.sh.fHnPxXqD4X/ispconfig3-stable-3.1-e6bd0a7dfa0abc5dc2b26913c059405ae468a768/install/lib/mysql.lib.php(231): db->_build_query_string('SELECT plugin_n...', Array)
    #2 /tmp/update_from_dev_stable.sh.fHnPxXqD4X/ispconfig3-stable-3.1-e6bd0a7dfa0abc5dc2b26913c059405ae468a768/install/lib/mysql.lib.php(270): db->_query('SELECT plugin_n...', Array)
    #3 /tmp/update_from_dev_stable.sh.fHnPxXqD4X/ispconfig3-stable-3.1-e6bd0a7dfa0abc5dc2b26913c059405ae468a768/install/lib/mysql.lib.php(319): db->query('SELECT plugin_n...', Array)
    #4 /tmp/update_from_dev_stable.sh.fHnPxXqD4X/ispconfig3-stable-3.1-e6bd0a7dfa0abc5dc in /tmp/update_from_dev_stable.sh.fHnPxXqD4X/ispconfig3-stable-3.1-e6bd0a7dfa0abc5dc2b26913c059405ae468a768/install/lib/mysql.lib.php on line 448
    [email protected]:/#

Now, I suspect I need to restore the saved MYSQL databases that were backed up by ispconfig_update.sh the first time it failed. I have a backup from then, but I don't yet understand how to restore the backup into MYSQL...
    --

3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You need the .sql file; I don't remember if that's stored separate, or as part of the a zip/tgz offhand. Once you have it, you can use mysql from the commandline or the phpmyadmin web ui if setup to load the backup back into the dbispconfig table. You can check the .sql file and if it includes "DROP TABLE blah...." statements before each "CREATE TABLE blah..." you can just load it directly - if it does not, you'll probably have to drop the tables in the ispconfigdb database first before loading that backup.

4. Theoryman

Theoryman New Member

Well... I think I'm making progress...
    Code:
    [email protected]:/var/backup/ispconfig_xxxx.xxx_2019-06-05_23-51# mysqladmin -u root -p create dbispconfig
    Enter password:
    [email protected]:/var/backup/ispconfig_xxxx.xxx_2019-06-05_23-51# mysql -u root -p dbispconfig < ispconfig_db_backup.sql
    Enter password:
    ERROR 1146 (42S02) at line 22: Table 'dbispconfig.aps_instances' doesn't exist

So, after reading this... https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/restore-broken-ispconfig-settingd.59957/
    I expect I want to
    Delete the MYSQL database I just created above.
    Reinstall the current version of ISPConfig (step 17 of perfect server)
    Then empty all of the tables in the newly created dbispconfig
    Then restore the backup
    That sound about right?
    --

5. Theoryman

Theoryman New Member

Well that didn't work...
    I was able to delete the dbispconfig database... But when attempting to reinstall ispconfig i get...
    Code:
    [email protected]:/tmp/ispconfig3-stable-3.1-e6bd0a7dfa0abc5dc2b26913c059405ae468a768/install# php -q install.php
    ASCII Art removed
    >> Initial configuration

Operating System: Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS (Xenial Xerus)

Following will be a few questions for primary configuration so be careful.
        Default values are in [brackets] and can be accepted with <ENTER>.
        Tap in "quit" (without the quotes) to stop the installer.

ISPConfig 3 installation found. Please use update.php instead if install.php to update the [email protected]:/tmp/ispconfig3-stable-3.1-e6bd0a7dfa0abc5dc2b26913c059405ae468a768/install#

And no update.php is found...

6. Theoryman

Theoryman New Member

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which MySQL version do you use? Only the versions that are used in the installation instructions are supported, e.g. MySQL 8 is not supported.

8. Theoryman

Theoryman New Member

Sorry I've been slow responding... We had a tower come down Monday due to high winds and have spent the last 72 hours replacing it...
    I was able to remove and delete ISPConfig from the system.
    I then reinstalled it per step 17 of the perfect server guide.
    This allowed it to run... But as a completely fresh copy. My existing mail, websites and other configuration data was not working.
    I then used this procedure : https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/restore-broken-ispconfig-settingd.59957/
    to restore my most recent, prior to the failed upgrade, backup.
    Partial success!
    I now have my users email back... and those users can log in and download that email via POP3 or IMAP... And their passwords are intact.
    BUT...
    Users can not send mail and the server is not accepting mail from other mail servers.... no port 25 response... Disabled the firewall to test... No go.
    I can not log in the ISPconfig webpage... I get user name or password wrong.
    Further investigation shows that some tables in the dbispconfig database, (ForEx sys_user), are now empty... Likely explaining why I can't login to the ispconfig webpage.
    So, some progress... But, not fixed.
    Maybe there is a way to restore individual tables in mysql from the ispconfig made backup?
    --
    P.S. To answer the question...
    The step for install MariaDB did not specify a version...
    Code:
    [email protected]/# mysql -V
    mysql  Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.0.38-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.2
    [email protected]:/#

9. Theoryman

Theoryman New Member

Update:
    Using Notepad++ and the backup made by ispconfig_update.sh of the mysql data base, I was able to copy the table entries for the sys_user table, enter them manulay into the dbispconfig database and restore my access to login to the ispconfig web page control panel.

I expect that I can likely do the same thing to restore the web page entries and such into the database as well.
    --

10. Theoryman

Theoryman New Member

Update:
    After manually restoring the web-domain table in the dbispconfig database, users can send email...
    Now, the remaining issue's are that users are not receiving email and that web mail is not working at all...
    --

11. Theoryman

Theoryman New Member

Update:
    After some research : https://www.howtoforge.com/communit...config-3-services-without-uninstalling.73260/
    I reran ispconfig_update.sh and told it to reconfigure all services. This actually broke sending mail...
    But it created new errors in mail.log... Those new errors helped me find post #28 in this thread : https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/ispconfig-3-cant-receive-emails.39314/page-2
    that showed me that ALL those files listed in post #28 had my domain name, xxxx.net instead of the name I had selected webserver.xxxx.net ...
    Fixing those made different errors in mail.log ...
    Code:
    Job for amavis.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status amavis.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
    That error took me to this...
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/849369/unable-to-install-amavisd-new-on-ubuntu-16-10
    And after fixing my domain name in
    Code:
    /etc/amavis/conf.d/05-node_id
    My users can now send and receive mail once again!
    Webmail is still broken... But I will start a new thread about that.
    Thanks to all who helped me find my way!
    --