Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ov10fac, Mar 24, 2011.

1. ov10fac

ov10fac New Member

I am brand new to this forum and to ISPCONFIG. I have a local (intranet) server that I am building to support a completely internal domain. The problem I am having is trying to find information on how to set up the DNS. On a Windows server, its very straight forward, but I'm finding it a little more difficult in the Linux world. I find all kinds of references to creating a DNS pointing to an external Nameserver, but nothing about how to set up a DNS with a Nameserver sitting on the same machine as the DNS.

The one reference I found in the ISPConfig manual said I needed a gluerecord (I thaink that was its name), but failed to explain what that was or how to create it.

I have many years experience with Linux and have installed many servers that run file sharing with other machines running windows and linux. This is my first venture into the DNS world so I'm a little short on basic knowledge.

If someone can point me to the right reference I'd appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance.
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please see here for a explanation what DNS glue records are and why and when they are nescessary:

Basically its the Hen <=> Egg problem. To find a dns record, you need to resolve its dns server. We want to resolve e.g. domain.tld. But if the dns server of domain.tld is a subdomain of the domain that you search (e.g. ns1.domain.tld), then you can not resolve the record because you would have to resolve domain.tld first. So we are at the beginning again. To break this circle, we add DNS A-records for ns1.domain.tld and ns2.domain.tld at the dns server of the domain registry (not your dns server), these records are named glue records.
  3. ov10fac

ov10fac New Member

So from what you have told me and what I just read, in addition to the one server I have running I need another server to for the glue record?

Hmm, this seems to be getting way more complex than I really need. All I want to do is provide a local DNS for my Windows machines to use for internal references. By that I mean to replace MS Server software with Linux. To do this I need a Domain controller, which I can get with SAMBA, and a Name Server which I thought I could get with bind. But its starting to sound like bind is way more powerful, and complex than I really need.

I don't need to use it to access the internet, I want to forward any requests for external addressed to the router I have connecting the network to the internet. I could use that as the NS, but I have no way of connecting the ip address to a name, at least as far as I can tell.

I appreciate the information.
  4. i-chat

i-chat New Member

no actually you dont, you need a way to define your dns server.

for example.

you have a network connected with a local modem router, that provides you with a dhcp function.

normally you would leave everthing as be, since your internet connection usually gets its information from your isp's dhcpserver and thair dns server would also be configured and forwarded to you.

so what's the trick. install a local dns server + resolver (google helps).

install it so that example.domain.lan resolves to its internal ip adres. and that if it doesn't know the name it wil querie your isp's dns server

than you wil have to either install a dhcpd (with the the configuration to assing your ns-server as its primary dns-lookup. (some modem/routers even allow you to set this up... )

in windows this is usually done by the PDC with (by default) also acts as, dhcp-server, local-dns server and as resolver.

another tip COULD be to give zentyal a try its a ubuntu-based distribution that installs samba, a dns server a firewall and lots of other features that you may want. the kind people in thair irc channel can also help you if things get complicating.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  5. ov10fac

ov10fac New Member

Thank you for your reply. I understand what you are saying. I have IPCOP configured as my "cable router". It serves as my gateway, dhcp server and also as the inside DNS. It works fine, but I need to configure a different internal DNS for this network.

I amd experimenting with ISPCONFIG and using its DNS configuration utility. The problem I have is that the NS blocks require a named server. Since I don't actually have a name for the DNS servers I am using I'm in something of a mess.

My IPCOP has no name, I use its IP address which will not work in the NS block. The COX DNS also is an ip address, so it to will not work.

When I configure DNS with Win Server 2003 all it asks for is a "forwarder" and it will accept an ip address.

So I guess my real question is what is the NS used for. Is that the server(s) that do the actual name resolution or is that the server that is used if the local edition of bind cannot find an address. If the resolution is actually being passed the the NS servers, what is the purpose of installing bind.

Again, the bottom line is to replace Windows Server with a linux server. I need an internal DNS to resolve all internal addresses and then some form of forwarder to resolve those addresses that cannot be resolved internally.

Again many thanks for your response.
  6. i-chat

i-chat New Member

since your using ipcop, if i remember correctly i can setup an autoritive dns-server (usually called primary dns server) it is configured either in your dhcpd.conf (or webbased config tool). such should always be configured as a ipaddress.

so simply stated:
    set your primary dns to the ipadress of your ispconfig3
    set your secondairy dns ip to the one of your ISP.

in your isconfig make an A-record for: example.lan <local ispconfig ip>
    example example.lan

you could also chose to have ispconfig's dns system to also act as a cashing / resolving server ... but i haven't tested it with isp-config ... so some-one else on this forum them ispconfig-manual or google should be of more help to you from this point on...

update: this link should help you a bit... - its not based on a recent version of ubuntu but in general it should work fine.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011