Howto Create Multiple Symlinks by Default

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks/Mods' started by billcouper81, Mar 17, 2010.

1. billcouper81

billcouper81 New Member

I have searched this forum and google but I can't find anything on this...

When making a new "site" ISPConfig will automatically create a sym-link in /var/www/

I am using roundcube webmail and it is located in /var/www/roundcube
    How am I to get ISPConfig to automatically create a symlink in the client web folder?
    /var/www/ -> /var/www/roundcube

Normally I just ssh to server and create the link manually, which is OK if I am doing the setup of a new website, but if another of staff is doing they will always forget or skip this step.. can i make it auto?

I tried adding extra to the "Website Symlinks" in server config, and seperated them with , or ; but it just breaks it completely (not even the normal one gets made so I set it back to default setting)
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can e.g. write a plugin for this and bind it to the same events then the apache plugin. Take a look at the apache plugin for details and there are also some threads in the dev forum on how to write plugins.

We do not offer such a function in ispconfig as it does not work reliably. It breaks when you use high security settings or suphp or php-fcgi as it is done on hosting systems.

This field is only for symlinks pointing to the website and not for syminks in the website.
  3. billcouper81

billcouper81 New Member

i have no clue about apache plugins

can i suggest to implement such a feature, in the distant future? to be able to comma seperate multiple symlink directives in the "Website Symlinks" field?

this could help noob sys admin like myself, i am still learning linux and have a loooong way to go (if there is such thing as a finish line)
  4. dclardy

dclardy New Member

If you are adding it for every site, why not put a just create an alias in apache.

vi /etc/apache2/conf.d/apache2-doc
    Alias /webmail /var/www/roundcube/
    <Directory "/var/www/roundcube/">
    Options Indexes FollowSymlinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    AddDefaultCharset off
    Then just restart apache, and all your sites will automatically end up at that when they go to
  5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

As I explained above, this field is for something completely different.
  6. billcouper81

billcouper81 New Member

thanks dclardy
    i tried your suggestion and indeed it does work as intended.. now i don't need to make sym links in each sites web folder.. thankyou

thanks till
    sorry i didn't realise, i am a big nooby