How to setup SMTP server?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by edi00, Jun 19, 2011.

1. edi00

edi00 Member

I have domain merlin4x.com
    I have functional mail boxes but if I want to use smtp.merlin4x.com
    I am getting following error:

Sending of message failed.
    An error occurred sending mail: SMTP server smtp.merlin4x.com is unknown. The server may be incorrectly configured. Please verify that your SMTP server settings are correct and try again.

I cant see anything in ISPC 3 on how to set smtp server.

I have tried various DNS settings:
    http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=dnsrec&host=merlin4x.com
    :confused:

2. Toucan

Toucan New Member

If you've followed one of the perfect guides, the smtp should already be set up. I think what you have a problem with is the dns to point to that smtp.whatever.com

You can either make an 'a' record of 'c' which points to the IP of your server.

If you just want to see if the mail server works, simply put your IP not smtp.what.ever into your mail client.

Hope I've not missed the point!

3. edi00

edi00 Member

Thanks!
    That gets even more complicated.
    mail client is asking for:
    server name, so I put IP=208.111.39.240
    user name, what?
    password, what?

my server is fx.airpatrol.us
    when I run DNS check it does no see any record since I have no DNS for the rerver only for domains.
    See http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=dnsrec&host=208.111.39.240

However,I have domain airpatrol.us which has DNS record.

so the best would be to stay with individual domains where I know the user and password.

Exsampe:
    I have domain = merlin4x.com
    I have emailbox = [email protected]

So I set my email client:
    Server name: smtp.merlin4x.com
    User name: [email protected]
    password: ******

in ISPC3 I create DNS for merlin4x.com by using the wizard.
    I add manually A = smtp, IP

I send email from the client

I get error:

Sending of message failed.
    An error occurred sending mail: SMTP server smtp.merlin4x.com is unknown. The server may be incorrectly configured. Please verify that your SMTP server settings are correct and try again.

so what next?

I should add that I have UBUNTU 10.04.1
    and WEB based client SquirrelMail works a OK

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  4. Toucan

Toucan New Member

OK,appreciate some of this may seem more complicated than it really is so I'll try to put things in simple terms.

I'm assuming you have a server at home sitting behind a router yes?

This means you have an internal IP for your server that looks something like 192.168.0.100

You should have a router that accepts traffic from the internet. This router has an IP something like 85.67.34.65 . The router should be set up to forward traffic to your internal IP.

If your mail client is sitting in your internal network then we can make it even simpler:
    In the incoming and outgoing server names, put your server's internal IP.. 192.......etc

If your mail client was outside the network you'd have to use the external ip.

user name should be your full email address
    password would be the password you set when creating that mailbox.

As far as DNS is concerned just try googling for dns explained... but I'll try put it in my own terms... by example....

an email from yahoo is sent, yahoo does a look up of the dns for yourdomain.com. The global registry will report back that it doesn't know the exact ip address but it does know the two name servers, so yahoo then asks one of the two name servers (these hold dns records). The name server would normally report back with the mx record of your domain.com pointing it to an ip address. In the case of your set up, the ip address would be the same as the name server because it can host it's own dns. so, yahoo now knows the ip address of your server and sends the mail there and your server picks it up.

When you talk about smtp.yourdomain.com, you only really need this if you're splitting the services up over different servers, ie yourdomain.com goes to the web server, smtp.yourdomain.com goes to the mail server etc etc. So, forget using smtp and just replace it with the ip address.

However, I do have a suspicion that you've not set up glue records etc for your name server. But, that shouldn't stop you logging onto the mail server with a client. , but make sure you mention that in other posts if yuo're having trouble receiving posts.

Hope that helps.

5. edi00

edi00 Member

It works with IP ignoring smtp.

so I have configured my client
    server = IP
    user = mailbox email
    password = mailbox pasword.

I got hangup on that "smtp" since I was copying settings for my gmail.

So now it makes all sense.

Thank you are a genius.