How To Set Up Software RAID1 On A Running System (Incl. GRUB Configuration) (Debian E

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Pasco, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Pasco

Pasco New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi folks

I started with the mentioned how-to, but I didn't get far on my debian etch Server.

The problems are starting already here:

I got the following output on my server, even tough I followed the "perfect setup for debian etch server":

The main problem is, that my second partitions are both "Extended" and not like in the how-to "Linux swap / Solaris" and "Linux".

Do anybody knows what I did wrong or if I could set up the RAID 1 even tough? Because I got problems in the following step:

I get following error at the second partition:

Any ideas? :confused:

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff Moderator HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

Run
    Code:
    fdisk /dev/hdc
    Instead of
    Code:
    Command (m for help): <-- t
    Partition number (1-4): <-- 2
    you type
    Code:
    Command (m for help): <-- t
    Partition number (1-4): <-- [B][COLOR="Red"]5[/COLOR][/B]
    because your second partition is on/dev/hdc5.

3. Pasco

Oh, I got it, thanks Falko.

So have I got it right, that in the how-to there are 3 partitions and on my system are only 2 partitions. I don't have to do anything with the "Extended"-Partition?

Thanks a lot!

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff Moderator HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

That's right - although I haven't tried this myself.

5. Pasco

It worked like a charm! Thanks again Falko!

I can confirm that the how-to also works with the partitions described from me in this thread (2 Partitions with Extended Version). So I got only md0 (/ and /boot together on one partition) and md1. Works flawlessly!

6. pligor

pligor New Member

So sda1 and sda5 only?

I know this is an old post but some things have changed since 10.04

I am currently using 12.04
    By default with a regular ubuntu installation in a pc with a single drive is to have the partitions: the main partition (sda1) and an extended partition (sda2) which contains the swap partition (sda5)

Can anybody confirm that is only need to create two (and not three) raid-arrays, md1 and md5 which correspond to sda1 <-> sdb1 and sda5 <-> sdb5 ?

Please let me know if you need further information!
    Thank you :)

7. falko

You don't need RAID for swap, so in your case you just need one RAID array.

8. pligor

pligor New Member