How to install desktop on top of Debian Etch?

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by linuxNewbie2008, Jul 22, 2008.

1. linuxNewbie2008

linuxNewbie2008 New Member

Hi,

I used the tutorial to install Debian Etch and all worked fine.
    Now I want to be able to launch firefox and thunderbird but don't know what to do. So I think if I had a desktop that might help me more? Is there a way of installing a desktop application on top of my Debian Etch install or do I have to start again with the Deskop Debian etch install tutorial?
    Thanks.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff Moderator HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

3. linuxNewbie2008

linuxNewbie2008 New Member

Thank You

Hi,

Thanks for this, I actually figured out how to do it the other day. I re-installed using your tutorial on debian etch but this time selected the Desktop. Now I'm up and running! Thanks.

As I'm here, a quick question for you. Is it possible to run several instances of firefox browser instantaneously? I currently have launched an EN firefox browser which is linked to /usr/bin/firefox. If I want to run a FR firefox browser in parallel, is there a way to do this?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff Moderator HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

Theoretically yes. I guess you have to install Firefox a second time, this time from hand and in another location...