How to catch runaway or hog process?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by dlucy, Aug 1, 2011.

1. dlucy

dlucy New Member

I've recently moved 25 Joomla 1.5 CMS sites and one SugarCRM 5.20 site from a "Perfect" CentOS 32-bit ISPConfig 2 server to a "more Perfect" CentOS 64-bit ISPConfig 3 server. Most everything is working very well.

During the move I switched all the Joomla CMS sites from ModPHP to Fast-CGI + suEXEC. The server is faster, 64-bit is faster and FAST-CGI seems faster. However, my tame, out-of-the-box Joomla sites started running away.

Every day or two, the machine would slow to a crawl and, eventually, slow to a non-responsive state. Dialing in and looking at top I can see load averages spiking as the machine slows down.

The only things running on this machine are apache+fast-cgi and mysql.

I guessed fast-cgi might be taking too much memory, so I backed all the Joomla sites down to suPHP+suEXEC. They work fine and it's been two weeks since a slow down, but I've had another one today.

The Joomla sites haven't had big cahnges or new installs of aoftware. There have been upgrades (Joomla 1.5.22 to 1.5.23, AkeebaBackup 3.1.5 to 3.3.1, etc.), but nothing I would outright suspect.

So, what tools can I apply to this install to track down:

1. which processes are running away or hogging resources?
    2. whichsites own these processes (so I can investigate that particular Joomla install)?

Thanks!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Do you have munin installed? This might help track down the problem (for example, long I/O wait times can cause web sites to not be accessible).