How Do I Set Up A USB Drive for Backups?

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by justjim, Jul 4, 2006.

1. justjim

justjim New Member

Hello,

I finally got everything working correct on my server, so now I would like to begin performing backups regularly. I purchased a 160GB USB HDD for this purpose, but I'm having troubles getting it configured properly. There are a lot of great tips here for actually doing the backups, but I can't seem to find anything to help me get the hardware set up!

I would prefer to just leave the drive powered on all of the time so that it mounts on boot-up, but I'm having a few problems making this work. Can anyone assist?

Also, my system is able to see the drive if I power it up after I boot....but only after I receive a pop-up message asking if I want to mount the USB drive. I would prefer that it mount automatically when I power it up, and then have an icon appear on my desktop to let me know that it is available. How can I do this?

Note: I am using SUSE 9.3

Thanks in advance!

JustJim

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff Moderator HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

3. commentator

commentator New Member

How does this work on Debian sqeeuze and/or wheezy ?
    Or is it possible to automount it without extra tools? Some of the links are broken.