Hosting my own name server using a dynamic IP.

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by wyattbiker, Nov 8, 2011.

1. wyattbiker

wyattbiker New Member

Does anyone know if I can host my own DNS server for multiple domains, using something like Standard DynDNS paid service or but paying for only one domain?

They charge around $30 per domain name to do this. I have a lot of domains, most are not busy. I don't mind paying $30 for one domain, but if I want to have 10 its $300. I may as well get a static IP at that point.

Maybe I am naive but I thought if I can take a domain I have and use it as a name server domain by hosting it on DynDNS and then point all my domains from godaddy to it. Then setup BIND with any appropriate port forwarding. Will it work.?

Can it be done with maybe MyDNS?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I'm not sure if I got you right, but I think you can get this for free. Just get a free DnsDNS hostname, and then create CNAME records for your domains at GoDaddy that point to your DynDNS hostname.
  3. wyattbiker

wyattbiker New Member

This is what I am trying to do:

I currently have paid domain at DynDNS.

I also have my CentOS/ISPConfig3 server that is accessible with

What I would like, is to take some of my domains (E.g., and host them on my CentOS server through DynDNS.

What would I put in the CNAME record at GoDaddy to make this work so when a user browses to or they see their website?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Just point the CNAME to