Help with Squirrelmail and a few other things.

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by jchiera, Dec 10, 2010.

1. jchiera

jchiera New Member

Hello, I have used two(2) guides for helping me setup up a LAMP server again. I have just started up my Linux box since about 5 or 6 months. So I installed Ubuntu 10.10 32 Bit Server. I found this guide on making a LAMP server; http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-10.10-maverick-meerkat-ispconfig-3 and I have used these articles from the Ubuntu site; https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MailServer. I have used the articles on how to install and set up Postfix, PostfixAmavisNew, Courier, and Squirrelmail. Also in the guide on howtoforge it wanted to me to install FTPd and Quota, which I did not because I did not want to create an FTP server. It also is having my install fail2ban and jailkit, which I did not install again because I think those are for FTP clients. So I got to the last page of the tutorial on howtoforge where I install ISPConfig and Configure it and I read and did what the articles on the Ubuntu site and I can login to Squirrelmail where it shows my INBOX and my IMAP server is working correctly . I went to test if my webmail was working and within Squirrelmail I composed an email to send to my gmail and my nycap account and I get an error. The error states
    Code:
    Message not  sent. Server replied:  Transaction failed
    554 5.7.1 <[email protected]>: Relay  access denied
    Also I was wondering if there was a way where I can add more users because I was going to use this and give clan members an email address on the server. How would I add more users?

Also another thing I was wondering was do I really need ISPConfig? I mean all I will be using my Linux box for is a TF2 or CS:S server, or possibly a BF BC2 server (If the files get released). I will also use it for hosting a website for my clan and a web server so I can setup members with their own email address if they want one. I would only be running one site, one game server and a webmail server so if ISPConfig really needed?

-Thank You

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

3. jchiera

jchiera New Member

Sorry, for the late response. Thank you for the guide, I am currently trying it and I will let you know how it works out :)

4. jchiera

jchiera New Member

Well, I just finished with your guide. When I go to log into SquirrelMail I get this message: ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server. This happened last time I used the other guide, I think I might be doing something wrong. So I guess I will just start over and reinstall Ubuntu again and try from scratch. Its weird. When I used the guide from here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MailServer i could log in to SquirrelMail, but I couldn't send emails... haa. So I have no idea what guide to use.

5. falko

Did you send a welcome email, as described in the tutorial?

6. jchiera

jchiera New Member

Yes I did. But I will try again. I think I am going to reinstall Ubuntu and start over. I just have a few questions though on what guides to use and such. Basically what I want to do with my Linux box is this. I want to host a website for my gaming clan and set up web mail. I have already bought a domain from GoDaddy (brl-clan.com) So is it possible to have an email like this? [email protected], I know when my cousin gave me some web space when he used to work for a hosting company I set up an email for myself and a friend in cPanel. Is there a way to do this without cPanel? Also I will be running a game server for Counter Strike or Team Fortress 2. So what guides would be good for me to use? I found these guides on setting up a Perfect Server; http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-10.10-maverick-meerkat-ispconfig-2, and http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-10.10-maverick-meerkat-ispconfig-3-p2 but also I do not want ISPConfig because I will be only using my server for one website and web space for only myself. Also for setting up Courier, Postfix, SquirrleMail and what ever else is needed for web mail I found these; https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MailServer and http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-users-and-domains-with-postfix-courier-mysql-and-squirrelmail-ubuntu-10.10. But which guides are the correct ones that I use that suite my needs?

P.S. Also, do you know anything about GoDaddy and how to set up the domain I bought from them? Because right now all I am doing is redirecting people to my IP when they type in my domain (brl-clan.com) and do not think that is a correct way. Do I need to set up a DNS on my Linux Box or anything, etc.?

-Thank You

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  7. falko

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-u...x-courier-mysql-and-squirrelmail-ubuntu-10.10

In GoDaddy's web interface, you can manage your DNS records. just point your domains/subdomains (e.g. yourdomain.com, www.yourdomain.com, mail.yourdomain.com) to your public IP, and also create an MX record for yourdomain.com that points to mail.yourdomain.com.

8. jchiera

jchiera New Member

Okay, than you very much! I decided to just start over and reinstall Ubuntu Server. The two guides I will use for setting up my LAMP server is this one; http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-apache2-with-php5-and-mysql-support-on-ubuntu-10.10-lamp. the guide I will be using to set up web mail for virtual users would be this guide; http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-users-and-domains-with-postfix-courier-mysql-and-squirrelmail-ubuntu-10.10. The only questions that I have right now is the hostname of my server. You use server1.example.com. If I am going to be using my server for a website, webmail and a game server, what should I name mine? In the past I have used Ubuntu-server1, Ubuntu-server1.com, and cs-server.nycap.rr.com. But I do not know if those are the correct way of naming a server? If I have a domain name purchased should I name my server the name name as my domain name? So my hostname of my server would be brl-clan.com, or something like that. Because in some of your guides you instruct us to replace server1.example.com with our host name. Why is your host name what it is? Do i need to have a .com? Or can it just be one word like Ubuntuserver? Or even the name of my domain name I bought (brl-clan) or do I need the .com? Like in your guide for webmail with Virtual users there is one step where we are configuring Postfix and I need a valid FQN, is my FQN brl-clan.com? Those are some of the steps I am confused on. Also another question is with DNS. How would I set up a DNS so I do not have to just set up a forward in GoDaddy when people type in my domain. I have it currently set up where when you type in brl-clan.com it forwards you to my IP address issued to me by my ISP. But I know this is not the "correct" way and I was just wondering how to set up a DNS and such so I do not have to forward people and I can have my domain mail.brl-clan.com for web mail instead of www.brl-clan.com/squirrelmail.

-Thank You

9. falko

It doesn't need to be a .com domain, you can use any top-level domain. If you use the domain brl-clan.com, you could name your servers like server1.brl-clan.com, server2.brl-clan.com, h523.brl-clan.com, whatever you like. But it should be a fully qualified domain name - just using something like Ubuntu-server1 without a domain is not enough.

10. jchiera

jchiera New Member

Okay, Thank you! I will be naming my server BarRoomLegends.brl-clan.com. Now what does this mean if this is my host name? Sorry if that question doesn't make sense. Also sorry I haven't posted in a while. My CD/DVD drive is shot in my server and i need to find an old IDE one.

11. falko

Don't know what to answer... :confused:

12. jchiera

jchiera New Member

Okay that's fine. Haha. When i reread the question it made no sense to me. But I have another question. I am on this guide; http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-users-and-domains-with-postfix-courier-mysql-and-squirrelmail-ubuntu-10.10 and I am at the step where we Install Postfix, Courier, Saslauthd, MySQL, phpMyAdmin and I set my MySQL Password, Chose No for web based administration, and chose Internet Site for my General type of mail configuration. I am at the point now where I need a System mail name. It is telling me to enter a single Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN). What is my FQDN? The one I purchased from GoDaddy (brl-clan.com) or would it be BarRoomLegends.brl-clan.com (my server host name)or www.brl-clan.com or what? I am confused.

-Thank You

EDIT: Alright, so I finished your guide. When I installed Squirrelmail and I went to log in this is what happens. I get an Error message stating this; ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
    . I have also went into my root account in phpmyadmin and created my own email, instead of the one you use ([email protected]) and I still get the error. I even sent the auto email to the account using mailx.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  13. falko

If BarRoomLegends.brl-clan.com is your hostname, use it here as well.

Any errors in your mail log?

14. jchiera

jchiera New Member

Hmmm. I am not sure. I am checking it now and I am totally lost when checking it. I attached the last 100 lines of my maillog.log file.

Attached Files:

15. falko

Remove brl-clan.com from the mydestination line in /etc/postfix/main.cf (rather use your hostname BarRoomLegends.brl-clan.com there) and restart Postfix.

16. jchiera

jchiera New Member

Okay, I have tried your suggestion and I still get the message when I try to log in to the account I have made for myself through phpmyadmin. I have attached my entire main.cf file. Is there any other files that I would need to edit? I would just reinstall Ubuntu Server again and start over, but doing this 5 times prior it gets a little annoying and old haha.

Attached Files:

17. jchiera

jchiera New Member

Does my main.cnf look right at all?

18. falko

Looks good. Make sure you have BarRoomLegends.brl-clan.com in /etc/mailname as well.

19. jchiera

jchiera New Member

Okay, thank you. I edited /etc/mailname because all that was in there was brl-clan.com so I changed it to BarRoomLegends.brl-clan.com, but when I go to log into the account I have made for myself through phpmyadmin ([email protected]) I still get the error message ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.. Are there any other configuration files that I might need to change the host name? Also in phpmyadmin I am logging into the user I made called mail_admin and then I go to Databases -> mail -> users -> Browse -> Insert. Then for the email field I type in an email ([email protected]) and then my Password and I make sure its Encrypted. Then I press Go and it creates that account. Then under domain I added my domain (brl-clan.com) Or is it something different? And under Forwarding and Transport I added nothing. Is this the correct way to add users for email accounts? Also, how can I make myself an administrator? So I don't have to log into [email protected], etc. I just want to make [email protected] an admin account. But with all of this I am still getting the error message about the connection to the IMAP server was dropped. Have a Happy New Year and Merry belated Christmas :)

-Thank You