getmail error: does not uniquely identify messages

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by dipeshmehta, Jun 17, 2010.

  1. dipeshmehta

    dipeshmehta Member


    I have been using getmail ( on my ubuntu 8.04 server to retrieve mails from service provider's POP3 server.

    I get error like:
    Error: [email protected] does not uniquely identify messages …" 
    when getmail runs from cron. This happens to one remote user only, all other remote users work fine.

    I use to retrieve mails using "SimplePOP3Retriever". If I change it to "BrokenUIDLPOP3Retriever", it is able to retrieve the mails.

    Actually, the email hosting for the said domain has been shifted to another server. On their old server this setup was running fine for more than a year and was no problem ever. This error started only after shifting the services on their new server. While talking to support desk there, they are asking what exactly the server should provide to the getmail to run it properly. Troubleshooting page on getmail's site does not provide sufficient information on this.

    Please help me to get out of this. Thanks in advance.

  2. falko

    falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

    To me, that sounds like a problem on the other side, not your side...
  3. dipeshmehta

    dipeshmehta Member

    Thanks for reply. I knew it is problem on the other side, and you confirmed the same.

    The problem is that the support guy at service provider is asking me the solution, i.e. what they need to check and correct on their server. So now I have to suggest them solution or any detail regarding what kind of data required by 'getmail' from their servers.


  4. dipeshmehta

    dipeshmehta Member


    After a long duration of investigating for the said error, the support staff at service provider finally told that they shall not be able to resolve the issue. They couldn't find anything related on their servers.

    However, If I switch to 'fetchmail' (with keep argument on poll line) instead of 'getmail', the fetchmail runs fine without any error. fetchmail identifies the seen and unseen messages properly. This seems to be about there might be some limitation of getmail. Somebody can throw some light on the matter.


Share This Page