from domail.tld/webmail to webmail.domain.tld

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by 0dp, Mar 21, 2013.

1. 0dp

0dp New Member

from domain.tld/webmail to webmail.domain.tld

Hi all,

I've been searching the interwebs for a definite solution to this somewhat essential aspect of configuring a hosting platform. I have yet to find a solution with proper confirmation, so I was hoping I could get one here.

many posts also mentions and as i've experienced myself that the ultimate server guide topic 20.2 does not work

What I would like to accomplish is, for each created site have a redirection from a subdomain to the webmail interface. To make it clear.

webmail.domain.tld points to domain.tld/webmail

As I have understood so far is that in order to enable this, first off you will have to modify the squirrelmail.conf (or what have you) file as follows:

Code:
    <VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot /usr/share/squirrelmail
    ServerName webmail.domain.tld
    </VirtualHost>

second you will have to make a subdomain in ISPconfig3 as follows for each domain:

Code:
    Host      webmail
    Domain domain.tld
    Redirect Type R,L
    Redirect Path http://domain.tld/webmail/

While this works, I can't stop to think that there must be a 'smarter' or automated way of accomplishing this? A way that does not include manually adding the subdomains for each domain.

sorry if this question is trite, but hopefully it can become a quick guide, sticky, or a wiki entry to shine light on this topic (so often asked)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013