Following "How To Compile A Kernel - The Debian (Sarge) Way" to install 2.6.20.1

Discussion in 'Kernel Questions' started by prude, Feb 28, 2007.

1. prude

prude New Member

Hello,

I am trying to install a version of 2.6.20.1 carefully following every step of the guide http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_debian. Every step runs fine up until the step in part2 of the guide where I execute the command "mkinitrd.yaird -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20.1-default1 2.6.20.1-default1".

- currently running a 2.6.7 kernel:
    Linux globoid 2.6.7 #4 Sun Feb 18 15:42:41 CET 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

- every step of the guide runs without errors until I execute "mkinitrd.yaird -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20.1-default1 2.6.20.1-default1". This command exits with the following error:

globoid:/tmp# mkinitrd.yaird -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20.1-default1 2.6.20.1-default1
    yaird error: Could not read output for /sbin/modprobe -v -n --show-depends --set-version 2.6.20.1-default1 evdev (fatal)

I am quite a newbie to this, so please be patient with me :) I hope that this guide is also valid for kernel 2.6.20.1
    Any idea what I am doing wrong? Any other files or configuration that would be interesting to investigate?

Thanks in advance,
    prude

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff Moderator HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

What's the output of
    Code:
    ls -la /boot
    ?

3. Ozzymud

Ozzymud New Member

I know this is an old thread, but i am working on an old machine :p

i got this exact error when compiling 2.6.18 for an old thinkpad 760xl...

it was my bad, in make menuconfig, i was trying to strip the kernel down as far as possible, evdev is the generic input event interface, and apparently required?

CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV set to m or y (default was m i think)

again, only replying to such an old thread as it was tough finding a solution on google and i hope this helps someone else later... it bites finding LOTS of hits to various forums of solved errors without a solution in the post :p