FLAC (albumwrap) to several via CUE - how?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by jsabarese, Jul 13, 2010.

1. jsabarese

jsabarese New Member

i have a single .FLAC audio file, and an accompanying .CUE sheet.

having researched several audio encoders / players, etc. lately, I remember seeing some mention of an app which might take such a /single/ .FLAC resource (that is, a complete music album in a single digital audio file), and-- using a provided .CUE sheet-- automate the process of creating the separate /tracks/ as they actually appeared on the original media.

For example, a CDDA media might contain tracks 01 - 08. The media may be extracted as individual .WAV files, or as a single .WAV, CDDA, or other format-- all depending upon the software used to perform such an extraction, and the options desired by the user.

My .FLAC media contains all /eight/ of these titles in a single file. Rather that use an application (such as SoundForge, Audacity, whatever...) to manually extract the separate tracks (i.e. 01 - 08, such that a total of 8 files result)

I wish to convert this single file into the several, separate "tracks", as would appear on the original media. I prefer the resulting media to be lossless, as FLAC, but mp3 is fine as well. I'm most interested in the AUTOMATION of this task.

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

If you're on linux you can do something like this:

shntool split file.flac -f file.cue -t '%n - %t' -o -o 'flac flac --best - -o %f'  
    You'll just have to have shntool and flac installed