ERROR - Unable to connect to the database

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jorizzzz, Sep 15, 2011.

1. jorizzzz

jorizzzz New Member

Hi guys,

I've managed to break my ispconfig install again... When I want to add a MySQL database to ispconfig for one of my clients, i get the following error message in /var/log/ispconfig/ispconfig.log:

ERROR - Unable to connect to the database

Adding a FTP user works as well..

I've tested the MySQL user and password from /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/config.inc.php and they can login to the ispconfig database. What does this error mean? And more important, how can i fix it?

2. jorizzzz

jorizzzz New Member

I've got some more errors... When I try to add or remove a database, I see the following error in syslog:
    Code:
    Sep 15 20:06:01 server1 CRON[6509]: (root) CMD (/usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh > /dev/null 2>> /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log)
    Sep 15 20:07:01 server1 init: mysql main process (6391) terminated with status 1
    Sep 15 20:07:01 server1 init: mysql main process ended, respawning
    Sep 15 20:07:01 server1 /etc/mysql/debian-start[6528]: Upgrading MySQL tables if necessary.
    Sep 15 20:07:01 server1 /etc/mysql/debian-start[6531]: /usr/bin/mysql_upgrade: the '--basedir' option is always ignored
    Sep 15 20:07:01 server1 /etc/mysql/debian-start[6531]: Looking for 'mysql' as: /usr/bin/mysql
    Sep 15 20:07:01 server1 /etc/mysql/debian-start[6531]: Looking for 'mysqlcheck' as: /usr/bin/mysqlcheck
    Sep 15 20:07:01 server1 /etc/mysql/debian-start[6531]: This installation of MySQL is already upgraded to 5.1.41, use --force if you still need to run mysql_upgrade
    Sep 15 20:07:01 server1 /etc/mysql/debian-start[6542]: Checking for insecure root accounts.
    Sep 15 20:07:01 server1 /etc/mysql/debian-start[6546]: Triggering myisam-recover for all MyISAM tables
    Sep 15 20:07:01 server1 CRON[6627]: (root) CMD (/usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh > /dev/null 2>> /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log)

It seems that MySQL is crashing and restarting.. That's not a good thing!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You might want to try raising the max_connections parameter in your my.cf file. Restart MySQL afterwards.

4. jorizzzz

jorizzzz New Member

Falko,

That option was commented out in my.cnf. I've enabled it and set it to 200. It didn't work :( Same error as before...

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Is this a physical server or a virtual machine? If you use OpenVZ, what's the output of
    Code:
    cat /proc/user_beancounters
    ?

6. jorizzzz

jorizzzz New Member

Falco, it's a virtual machine (Ubuntu 11.04). I don't have a user_beancounters in /proc :(

7. jorizzzz

jorizzzz New Member

I even tried using the MySQL root username and password in the ISPConfig system. Still the same error :( I was hoping that it was a SQL rights problem, but that wasn't the case :(

8. jorizzzz

jorizzzz New Member

Ok, i've found something that might help. I've enabled query logging in MySQL and found the following:

203 Query SELECT * FROM sys_datalog WHERE datalog_id > 507 AND (server_id = 1 OR server_id = 0) ORDER BY datalog_id
    204 Connect Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Is the cron job for creating the databases running with user root?

9. jorizzzz

jorizzzz New Member

Ok I fixed the problem! I wasn't aware that you are using the user 'root' to create new databases. I checked the file config.inc.php, but I forgot to take a look at mysql_clientdb.conf.

In short, i changed the MySQL root password, so I had to change it here too. This fixed my problems :)