Error.log not rotating for old sites

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by invino, Feb 19, 2021.

  1. invino

    invino Member HowtoForge Supporter

    Hi,

    Well, the issue is all in the title :) Basically, I have noticed that websites older than 4 years are stuck with an always growing error.log file, and only one error.log.1.gz file, from 2016... Some of them don't even have one .gzip archive actually.

    To me, it looks like it got stuck at this moment (maybe after an update of ISPConfig) and now the rotation is no longer being done for these domains. Newer websites are behaving correctly and we have a nice 10-day history, as we might expect.

    What do you suggest to get these error logs back on track with the rotation?

    Thanks!
     
  2. Th0m

    Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

    Can you try running
    Code:
    php /usr/local/ispconfig/server/cron_debug.php --cronjob=200-logfiles.inc.php
    as root?
     
  3. invino

    invino Member HowtoForge Supporter

    Thanks Th0m,
    Here's what it gives us:
    Code:
    finished cron debug.
    And nothing changed in the logs, I still have one gigantic error log file for older websites.
     
  4. Th0m

    Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

    Can you share the content of /etc/fstab? (you might want to remove domain names, but make sure it is still understandable.)
     
  5. invino

    invino Member HowtoForge Supporter

    Hey Th0m,

    I actually notice the domains that are posing problem are absent from fstab! I think that explains it all, right? If so, how do you think it can be fixed?

    Thanks!
     
  6. Th0m

    Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

    Yes, that would be the problem.
    I just installed a nginx test system to check it, and a correct entry would look like this:
    Code:
    /var/log/ispconfig/httpd/example.com /var/www/clients/client0/web1/log   none    bind,nofail    0 0
    Replace example.com with the correct domain, client 0 with the correct client ID, and web1 with the correct web ID.
    Then run the debug cronjob.

    If a lot of sites are affected, you might want to write a script for this.
     
  7. invino

    invino Member HowtoForge Supporter

    Awesome! Yes, this is exactly it. Sorry I just realized I should have, at least, given you an example of the websites I have in fstab. But it looks exactly like this indeed.

    OK, excellent, we're going to give it a shot and I'll get back here to confirm it works. To me, this makes perfect sense anyway.

    Thanks again!
     
  8. Th0m

    Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

    No problem, just wanted to double check it so I gave you the correct information. Let's hope this resolves it indeed :)
     

Share This Page