Email delivered to the wrong place

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ohope5, Jul 30, 2012.

1. ohope5

ohope5 New Member

I am using an ubuntu 12.04 with the ispconfig 3 perfect server (apache2) setup.
    My server has the same hostname as i want to use for email accounts, so when i send myself an email it goes to /var/mail/oliver rather than /var/vmail/
    Also any other accounts that aren't server accounts cant recieve emails ans there isn't a file in /var/mail/ for them.
    How can i fix this problem?
    Thank You
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The problem is your hostname, the hostname of a server amy not be thes same then a domain used for email. Thats why the perfext setup guides instructed you to use a subdomain like as hostname and not To fix that, edit /etc/mailname and /etc/postfix/ and replace all occurrences of your domain name with a subdomain of your domain and restart postfix.
  3. ohope5

ohope5 New Member

Thank you, it is now working perfectly!
    Just one thing, would it be a good idea to change the whole server hostname?
    Thank You,
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, I would change the hostname as well. Change it in the file /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts and then run:

/etc/init.d/hostname restart

Please ensure that the hostname exists in dns, so if you dont use a wildcard dns record, then add a dns a-record for the hostname pointing to the IP address of the server.