Email creation via Remote API scripting

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jnewman67, Mar 23, 2021.

1. jnewman67

jnewman67 Member HowtoForge Supporter

I'm just going to post a few findings here about using API scripts to create 300+ emails for a migration from a non-supported control panel - just in case someone else isn't sure what they were doing like me :)

CentOS 8 Stream server, fresh install, only 1 client/site/domain set up, still in testing phase.

I customized the ispc-import-csv-email.php script to be able to create both forwarders and mailboxes within the same script. i added a couple extra columns (type, forward_to) to the CSV data, then duplicated the "creation" portion of the script to do either mail_forward_add or mail_user_add based on the type (record['type']).

but my biggest issue was getting the script to access the remote/json.php web portal via :8080

i had defined the remote_URL as "https://192.168.0.102:8080/remote/json.php" but as the certificate for the server is self-signed, PHP was complaining without actually complaining - i was getting the message "Could not get mail_policy_get result".

testing the remote_URL with WGET, i got a "certificate is not trusted" error. changing from HTTPS -> HTTP gave a "400 Bad Request" error.

i finally had to redefine the remote_URL using an actual domain name that was defined in ISPConfig AND had an SSL certificate installed for that specific domain. setting the remote_URL to "https://server.mydomain.tld:8080/remote/json.php" then worked.

now there are other errors, but i think those are CSV formatting issues - at least I'm getting data-related errors now!

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

And alternative to using valid certificate (which is probably better, but...) is to use curl options to not require a valid certificate, eg. try uncommenting line 46.

FWIW, when migrating a system recently we opted for all mail_users rather than any mail_forwarding entries, as you get other options (ability to authenticate with/send from the mail_user address, sieve vacation messages, etc.); just set the forward-to address in the 'cc' field, and set disabledeliver='y' if you don't want it to hit dovecot (required for sieve). Either way works...

3. jnewman67

jnewman67 Member HowtoForge Supporter

as I've added a lot of "echo" lines in mine trying to figure it out, i believe you mean this line:
    curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST, false);
    wish I'd seen that earlier :)
    thanks for the idea for forwarders - my last control panel didn't distinguish between mailboxes or forwarders. you either enabled a mailbox, or didn't - the CC worked for either case. it was convenient - i'll look into that. thanks again.