Dovecot issues on new ispconfig installation on vps Centos7

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Zague, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Zague

Zague New Member

Hello guys,
    I am following the perfect server guide to install ispconfig (https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...php-pureftpd-postfix-dovecot-and-ispconfig/2/). In the step to install dovecot after installation I tried to start the daemon and got this error:

The weird is if I start manually the dovecot with dovecot -c /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf command, the daemon runs ok without issues, also
    dovecot -n didn't give any errors or messages
    dovecot -n
    Any Ideas?
    Thank you

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Follow the guide until the end and then test when you finished the installation, the dovecot config will get replaced anyway during ISPConfig installation.

3. Zague

Zague New Member

Till,
    I have completed the installation the issue is with 3 daemons dovecot,amavisd, pure-ftpd
    I did some research and the problem can be the kernel (Linux 2.6.32-042stab127.2 x86_64) but my vps provider does not allow kernel upgrade.
    The message file reported
    Dec 29 15:07:49 mx1 systemd: Can't open PID file /var/run/pure-ftpd.pid (yet?) after start: Too many levels of symbolic links
    Dec 29 15:07:49 mx1 systemd: Can't open PID file /var/run/dovecot/master.pid (yet?) after start: Too many levels of symbolic links
    Can't open PID file /var/run/amavisd/amavisd.pid (yet?) after start: Too many levels of symbolic links

Any Ideas

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member

Sounds like you probably have symbolic links that point in a loop, check each level and you should find the problem.

Code:
    ls -ld /var
    ls -ld /var/run
    ls -ld /var/run/amavis
    ls -ld /var/run/amavis/amavis.pid

One or more of those will be a symbolic link, so also check the paths such links point to.

5. Zague

Zague New Member

Till/Jesse
    Thank you for yours answers, I have spend a lot of time trying to fix this, This is not my first installation so all aimed a problem with the image or the vps or kernel or something so I took the decision to switch to Ubuntu and everything was installed correct. In regular conditions I keep doing research and troubleshooting of the issue but now I need save time.
    The last try that I did was update the systemd package and fix the problem of symlink but mariadb service was not able to start. That's why I switched the OS.
    Thank you very much
    Regards