Domain Alias & Unable to create a dot-lock

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by crazyivan, Mar 25, 2012.

1. crazyivan

crazyivan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Problem:

My mail queue is slowly filling. Caused by errors like:
    Code:
    temporary failure. Command output: /usr/bin/maildrop: Unable to create a dot-lock at /var/vmail/domain.com/clientID/17623.0.mail.server.com.
    I've double checked permissions and the pipe to maildrop.

Situation:

- FirstDomain.com is configured to receive mail for [email protected]. All mail for SecondDomain.com should be delivered to FirstDomain.com. A Domain Alias is created for SecondDomain.com. NO other configurations for SecondDomain.com have been made. Mail to [email protected] is being accepted for delivery but remains in the queue because maildrop cannot deliver this to the mailbox. Log file reads:
    Code:
    Unable to create a dot-lock at /var/vmail/FirstDomain.com/Lewis/12345.0.mail.domain.com
    The directory /var/vmail/FirstDomain.com/Lewis/ obviously does not exist because the alias 'Lewis' has not been defined.

Questions:

Why is email for a non-existing alias accepted in the SMTP phase? (This would be EXPECTED behavior)
    Why is email for [email protected] not delivered to the mailbox of [email protected]. (This would be UNWANTED behavior)
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Details of setup:
    ISPConfig: 3.0.4.3
    Kernell: Linux post.domain.com 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Jan 16 16:22:28 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    All packages are fully updated.
    Other config files or log files available upon request.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer