DNS Troubleshooting on perfect server debian 6 (bind)

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by tguillea, Jun 2, 2012.

  1. tguillea

    tguillea New Member

    I'm trying to set up my DNS/zones after a (re)installation, and after 6 hours I'm still not able to access my server with a domain, making me fairly certain I must have something configured wrong.

    My ISPconfig DNS records (I can send the pri file contents if needed...):
    	Type 	Name 	Data 	Priority 	 
    	A 	[mydomain].com. 	0 	
    	A 	mail 	0 	
    	A 	ns1 	0 	
    	A 	ns2 	0 	
    	A 	server1 	0 	
    	A 	www 	0 	
    	MX 	[mydomain].com. 	mail.[mydomain].com. 	10 	
    	NS 	[mydomain].com. 	ns1.[mydomain].com. 	0 	
    	NS 	[mydomain].com. 	ns2.[mydomain].com. 	0
    "nslookup" gives me:
    Non-authoritative answer:    canonical name = 202.0-
    202.0-      name = 202-219-105-184.rdns.scalabledns.com.
    Authoritative answers can be found from:
    Note that the is the actual output and just started showing up after a restart a few minutes ago. Earlier it would show the IP but I'm not sure what has happened!

    dig [mydomain].com:
    ; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> [mydomain].com
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 64081
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
    ;[mydomain].com.              IN      A
    [mydomain].com.       3026    IN      A
    ;; Query time: 46 msec
    ;; SERVER:
    ;; WHEN: Fri Jun  1 19:49:26 2012
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 50
    And of course, the glue records and everything on the registrar's end is the same as before

    Any idea what the hell is wrong or where to look? Last time I set this up, I used the wizard, added the A records for the nameservers, and it was good to go... I'm just not sure what to think now (unless its just a matter of the cache expiring, but my TTL is just the default ISPConfig sets)

    edit: also, email works just fine both incoming and outgoing.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  2. tguillea

    tguillea New Member

    After checking with a few proxy servers and successfully connecting, I think it is just a matter of waiting until my isp's cache expires or something.
  3. tguillea

    tguillea New Member

    (sorry for the multiple posts)

    it turns out the IP address is the Google public DNS... still not sure why it showed up with my nslookup command, but I switched my personal DNS to the google IPs and viola, page loads.

    It also loaded in my phone (and every proxy), which was more evidence comcast is NOT acknowledging my TTL correctly...

    .....bastards, wasting hours of my life because they don't properly recache dns information

Share This Page